Yet Some Mothers Have Been Told That When Their Baby Is Colicky She Is Allergic To Their Breast Milk
Mother Nature couldnt possibly make this kind of mistake. This is simply a clue that your babys inner ecosystem is lacking the healthy microbes needed to digest breast milk. Giving your baby probiotics is especially important if youre unable to breastfeed due to your own compromised health, or if you have decided that breastfeeding is just not right for you.
Biogaia Protectis Probiotics Drops With Vitamin D
Why its great: This probiotic doesnt come in a glass jar, like most other liquid infant probiotics. Instead, it comes in a squeeze tube with a stopper on the end that makes counting the drops a lot easier . This probiotic can be given as early as the first day of life for infants. The tube seems tiny, but it actually contains a 50 day supply of probiotics and vitamin D.This product is great for breastfeeding mommas. Its recommended that breastfed babies take a daily supplement of vitamin D, which this product contains . Instead of giving 2 separate supplements, you can just give 1! You can administer this product in pumped milk, on a spoon, or even put it on your nipple before breastfeeding.
Keep in mind: This product is only shelf stable up to 77 degrees F, so delivery in the middle of the summer can be problematic.
Good for: Breastfeeding mommas who need to give their baby vitamin D drops as well as probiotics.
Less Diarrhea Fewer Respiratory Infections
During the study, there were nearly one third fewer episodes of diarrhea in the probiotic group when compared to the placebo. Furthermore, the placebo group had more than double the respiratory tract infections compared with those taking L. reuteri. The differences persisted during the 12-week follow-up.
Get free updates on babys first year! Free Updates on First Year
Also Check: Is There A Prescription Strength Probiotic
Single Strain & Evidence Based
It is important to select the right probiotic strain researched for and suited to your needs.
Many probiotic companies provide broad spectrum probiotics containing multiple strains in a single dose. However, clinical trials for probiotics are usually conducted with a single strain, and it is unclear how multiple strains in a single dose may interact with or inhibit each other.
Containing only a single strain probiotic, Lactobacillus Fermentum CECT5716, Qiara Infant is an evidence based strain, and its use and expected outcomes are supported by clinical trials.
Studies have shown that Lactobacillus Fermentum CECT5716 reduces the incidence of gastrointestinal infections in infants 1-6 months up to 71% and infants 6-12 months by up to 41% .
Qiara Infant AUSTL 228344:
- Contains no added dairy, yeast, eggs, gluten, nuts, soy or salt.
- Contains no animal products, no artificial colours, preservatives or sweeteners.
- Is suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans.
- Does not require refrigeration .
- Is guaranteed to contain a minimum of 300 million live probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus Fermentum CECT5716 per sachet until the expiry date.
- Contains 28 individually sealed sachets per box.
- Recommended dosage 1 sachet per day. If prescribed oral antibiotics or if IV antibiotics have been administered, take 2 sachets per day for 5 days after the antibiotic course is completed, then return to one sachet daily. Take probiotic 2-3 hours before or after antibiotic dose.
Other Benefits Of Giving Your Baby Probiotics Include Helping To:
- Prevent necrotizing enterocolitis , which is one of the most common gastrointestinal disorders in premature babies.7
- Prevent fevers and diarrhea According to a 2005 Israeli study, infants given formula containing probiotics had half as many bouts of fever and diarrhea as those given regular formula.8
- Reduce likelihood that your baby will develop atopic eczema, an allergic skin condition which is more common in infancy and linked to other allergic disorders that include asthma.9
- Remedy infant colic In a 2019 trial, Italian researchers found that probiotic drops helped decrease daily crying duration by more than half in 80 percent of the babies studied infant sleep was also positively affected.10
- Support immune response in infants infected with the rotavirus and decrease the duration of rotavirus-associated diarrhea.11
With Body Ecologys Culture Starter, you can easily prepare your own delicious cultured veggies at home. Then, give your baby the juice while you eat the vegetables.
So, is breast milk best for your baby? As long as a mother is supplying her own body with excellent nutrients, her milk is the gold standard for her babys nutrition.
Recommended Reading: Probiotic Dosage For Yeast Infection
Why Give A Puppy Probiotics
Puppies are born with sterile guts. Giving probiotics to a puppy will help fortify the animal’s gut health in the early monthsâreducing instances of diarrhea, constipation, and loose stool.
Did you know that 80% of immune function relies on the health of your puppys intestinal tract ? Thus, one of the most important things you can do for your puppy, is to provide him with beneficial bacteria , to solidify a foundation of health throughout their lives.
During this early developmental phase of life, your puppys gut is getting its natural balance and building its own colonies of bacteria. Probiotics for canines at a young age guarantee a favorable microbiota that keeps your puppy healthy as they age.
What We Do With The Information We Gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To process, fulfill and notify you of your product order status.
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
Read Also: Garden Of Life 100 Billion Probiotic Reviews
Preventing Constipation In Babies
If your baby is exclusively breastfed, its very unlikely theyll become constipated. Be sure to include plenty of water in your own diet if youre the one providing the babys breast milk.
Babies can become constipated because of medications or sensitivities to ingredients in infant formula. Consult your childs pediatrician if you believe this is a possibility.
Babies and toddlers who experience frequent constipation may need to drink more water or have more fiber added to their diet.
Having your child sit on the toilet at the same time each day can also help regulate their body as they get used to this routine.
Best Strains Of Probiotics For Babies
Researchers of an Australian study found that the best probiotics for infants were ones that included 2-3 strains or species of probiotics . Here are the top three to look for:
1. B. bifidum is one of the first strains to colonize babys intestines and adheres to the intestinal wall better than other strains. It continues to be an important bacteria for digestion and nutrient absorption. It may help with infant skin conditions like baby eczema and yeast infections. It may also help with infant digestive issues such as necrotizing enterocolitis , IBS, constipation, diarrhea, and even lung infections.
2. B. infantis is the strain that is most prevalent and powerful in infants and declines as we age. In fact, a new study shows that this strain may be going extinct in the Western world. This is a huge issue, as it crowds out pathogenic bacteria and helps with overall health and digestion. One review found that B. Infantis can reduce inflammation and support immune function.
3. L. reuteri is a strain that has been found to have many benefits for young children and infants. One study found that children ages 6 months to 3 years who took supplemental L. rheuteri had nearly one third fewer cases of diarrhea and half as many respiratory infections. Another studysuggests that L. rheuteri is an excellent treatment for colic. It was also found to reduce the levels of bacteria that cause tooth decay!
You May Like: Gr 1 Rc 14 Probiotic Mix
Why Are Probiotics Important
Lets back up for a second to talk about why youd want to take probiotics.
Our bodies are full of bacteria. And although that may sound like a bad thing, less than one percent of bacteria makes us sick. Other bacteria in our systems are considered good bacteria, since they are vital for our bodies to function and play a key role in keeping us healthy.
Probiotics ensure that our systems have enough good bacteria to function the way they are intended to.
Garden Of Life Raw Kids Probiotics
If you’re interested in a powder instead of the pearls or gummies, in our opinion this is a great powder probiotic option! It really packs a punch, delivering over 5 billion CFU of probiotic in a day’s serving , along with prebiotic inulin to aid absorption. It is all organic, and contains a great blend of organic fruits and veggies as an added bonus. Each serving is 1.6 grams, so this tops our price list at about 35 cents per serving. In our testing, we found that this powder did a great job of mixing in with a variety of drinks , and didn’t leave as much residue on the bottom of the cup as some other powdered options. As a con, however, it of course requires more work on behalf of parents since it’s a powder you need to mix into something on a daily basis. It also contains a lot of fruit and veggies and inulin, rather than prioritizing the probiotics themselves in other words, the serving could have been much smaller if they removed these other ingredients. Overall, this is a great powder that we believe is a bit better than several other powders we tried.
You May Like: The Best Probiotic For Gut Health
Optibac Probiotics 1699 For 30 Sachets Best For Mums And Kids
Suitable for: 0-12-year-olds, plus pregnant and breastfeeding mums
These probiotics are suitable for kids from birth right up to the age of 12, as well as pregnant and breastfeeding mums, meaning you wont have to pick up multiple products to suit the needs of your family.
The powder, which can easily be sprinkled on top of porridge or mixed into a drink, contains three billion natural live cultures per sachet, in three well-researched strains .
According to the brand, they have all been tested to survive both stomach acidity and bile salts meaning theyll actually reach where they need to and make a difference.
It also contains fructooligosaccharide a dairy fibre with various benefits. And, as an extra bonus, theres no added sugar, colourings or flavourings and its suitable for vegetarians and gluten-free kids.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
Probiotics And Acidophilus For Kids
By now youve probably heard of probiotics, the “good” bacteria that are available in supplement form and found naturally in certain fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut. A few of the probiotic strains that you might see listed on product labels include Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium, and Saccharomyces.
Before we can understand the role of probiotics in the body and decide whether we should give probiotic supplements to our kids, we need to take a step back and look at how the gastrointestinal system works and the ways gut health is affected by bacteria.
Rayes / DigitalVision
Don’t Miss: How To Choose A Probiotic Supplement
Should You Give Your Child Probiotics
Parents might assume that even if probiotics don’t help, they aren’t likely to be harmful. The American Academy of Family Physicians states that probiotics do appear to be safe for healthy children.
However, there are many types and strains of probiotics to choose from, and the dosages can vary widely between supplements. It can be hard to figure out how much to take as well as how often to take them.
Here are some things to keep in mind when deciding whether to give your kids probiotic supplements:
- They are not regulated by the FDA, making it virtually impossible to know if the label accurately describes what is in the products.
- Although probiotics appear to be an effective treatment for the conditions listed above , there is much we still don’t know about which strains and dosages are the most effective.
- There is no proven benefit to giving healthy kids probiotics regularly, and they are not approved bythe FDA as a treatment for any specific disease or condition, according to the AAFP.
- Gas and bloating are the most common side effects of probiotic supplements. While not harmful, these side effects can be uncomfortable.
A healthy and safe choice is to give your child a serving of yogurt daily or include other probiotic-rich foods in your family’s meals. Look for a statement on the label that the food contains “live and active cultures.” These foods will provide good bacteria to support a healthy immune system without the risk of side effects.
To Nurture A Healthy Baby Is This The Missing Piece
Besides keeping pathogens under control, microbes are also vital in helping to ensure that your baby digests your milk. This way, shell start to thrive on her new food and begin to gain weight quickly now that shes out of your womb.
Because her brain is still very much under development, your nutrient-rich milk will help nourish her brain and influence her level of intelligence for the rest of her life. And very importantly, the calcium and phosphorus in your milk will help build strong, healthy bones and teeth.
You May Like: C Section Babies And Probiotics
Can Baby Probiotics Help With Acid Reflux
Reflux is a common gastrointestinal disorder in the first year of life and can affect up to 40% of infants between two and four months old. For most babies, the frequency of reflux decreases as they get older.
Regurgitation and acid reflux becomes an issue for babies when it is a frequent occurrence, causing failure to thrive and other health conditions.
Current research on how effective probiotics are in addressing infant acid reflux is limited. But data from small studies are promising and may help reduce gut-related symptoms when taken as prescribed. The key to adding probiotics is finding the right strain for the ailment that youre looking to address.
In one study, researchers used a combination of B. infantis Bb-02, B. lactis Bb-12, and S. thermophilus TH-4 which helped reduce the incidence of acid reflux. Another small study used L. reuteri DSM 17938 and showed improvements in regurgitation issues for infants.
What We Know About Antibiotics
- Antibiotics damage your childs gut bacteria which causes an imbalance called dysbiosis.
- Your gut houses about 80% of the bodys immune cells.
- Antibiotics may cause a reduced immune response .
- Antibiotics in infancy have also been tied to an increased risk for infections, allergies and other disorders, and even obesity, later in life.
- Antibiotics can create an obese situation that causes people to gain weight probiotics can reverse it.
- Probiotics cut the chances of getting antibiotic-induced diarrhea by 20-50% and help prevent other infections that we often turn to antibiotics for.
- Probiotic dosage should be more than 5 billion daily to help with the damage to gut health after antibiotics.
Recommended Reading: Solaray Mycrobiome Probiotic Urgent Care
Are Probiotics Safe For Kids
6 October 11
Probiotics are so common in yogurt these days, you might not think twice about giving foods laced with “good” bacteria to your youngsters. But do probiotics provide any benefits for children?
In general, giving probiotics to your kids is not harmful, but there’s not a lot of proof it does much good, either. Some studies show probiotics might be beneficial in treating and preventing diarrhea, but the effects are modest, experts say.
So far, studies looking at the effects of probiotics on other gut disorders, including irritable bowel syndrome, have not consistently shown a benefit. And a study published last week in the journal Pediatrics found no evidence that probiotics provide any relief for kids with constipation.
In the end, attempts to change the community of bacteria in kids’ tummies, and, consequently, their health, with probiotics may prove futile.
“Given the level of evidence, I can categorically say that I would not recommend parents going out of their way to give probiotics to children,” said Dr. Frank Greer, a professor of pediatrics at Meriter Hospital in Madison, Wis. Greer was the lead researcher for the American Academy of Pediatrics that addressed the issue. “Even if they eat the yogurt with five different probiotics in it, as soon as they stop taking the yogurt,” the bacteria in their bodies will revert back to its normal state, Greer said.
Do probiotics work?
Are they safe?
Garden Of Life Baby Probiotics
Garden of Life Baby Probiotics includes a blend of seven probiotic strains. One challenge with combining multiple bacteria strains is that it can be challenging to tell how the strains work together. The blend consists of 4 billion CFUs designed to help with colic, digestion, and immunity.
Its important to note that liquid probiotics have a much shorter lifespan than freeze-dried probiotic bacteria found in many powder supplements, including Omni-Biotic. Every time you open the bottle, the bacteria are exposed to oxygen and contaminants, making the probiotics less effective.
The nutrition label for Garden of Life Baby Probiotics recommends this product for infants 6 months and older.
- Type: Liquid
- Dietary Considerations: Non-GMO, Certified gluten-free, certified vegan, certified USDA organic
- Clinical studies using the final formulation: No
Don’t Miss: Best Probiotic For Ibs Mixed
Other Treatments For Baby Constipation
If youre caring for a constipated baby or toddler, prune juice isnt your only home treatment option.
Newborns, infants, and toddlers may benefit from a relaxing, warm bath. Bathing your child may help them relax their muscles and release a bowel movement.
Babies 6 months and older can be given water to drink. Hydrating the digestive tract is a simple way to get things moving and soften stools.
Massaging your childs stomach in a clockwise motion, or holding your childs knees together and pushing their legs up gently, may release gas and help with passing stool.
If your toddler is constipated, they may need to try several different positions on the toilet to get enough leverage to release a hardened bowel movement. Try adding a small stool underneath your childs feet or propping their legs up to help them get this leverage.
Give your child plenty of time to pass a bowel movement and tell them so. Getting nervous on the toilet is common for toddlers and can make symptoms of constipation last longer. Bring some of their favorite books to the bathroom to help pass the time and make if fun.
Constipation in babies and toddlers most often develops from one of the following:
- sensitivities to infant formula
- a low-fiber diet
- not taking in enough water
Since constipation is common in infants and toddlers, your best bet is to be vigilant about the symptoms of constipation. Symptoms to look out for include:
- a fever that lasts longer than 24 hours
- sudden weight loss