Why Trust Verywell Family
A personal note on my recommendations written above. As a dietitian, I am careful to recommend supplements, especially for babies. I spent time reviewing the most current research on probiotic supplementation for infants, and I looked at multiple brands and products. I believe the supplements in the round-up are made by trusted brands that are devoted to product purity and are composed of high-quality ingredients. Eliza Savage, MS, RD, CDN
Your Baby Has Acute Gastroenteritis
Acute gastroenteritis is defined as diarrhea or vomiting that lasts more than seven days. You should always talk to your doctor if your baby is experiencing these symptoms, and there is some evidence that probiotics can help, according to Kaufmann. The effect is that probiotics compete with enteric pathogens, there are then less nutrients for these pathogens, and probiotics increase immune response, she says.
One systematic review of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials found that the use of probiotics compared with placebo was associated with a significantly lower risk of diarrhea lasting more than three daysSzajewska H, Mrukowicz JZ. Probiotics in the treatment and prevention of acute infectious diarrhea in infants and children: a systematic review of published randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2001. 33 2:S17-25. .
Benefits Of Probiotic Supplements For Babies
Theres still a lot of research that needs to be done on giving probiotics to infants, says Carrie Kaufmann, a pediatric nurse practitioner at Stanford Childrens Health in Palo Alto, California, adding that she doesnt see it as a necessary supplement for every baby.
There are some cases where a probiotic supplement may be beneficial, though, including:
You May Like: Maximum Daily Dose Of Probiotics
Vitamin D And Your Babys Microbiome
Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, has gained much popularity over the last few years for its diverse roles in contributing to overall health and wellbeing. Now we can add another perk to this list of attributes, as this nifty vitamin has been found influence the health of your babys gut microbiome. Read on to find out more about this fascinating connection.
Vitamin D is well known for its role in skeletal health. It maintains the balance of calcium and phosphorus levels in our bones, keeping them strong and helping to prevent osteoporosis1. It is a versatile nutrient and has various roles around the body, playing a part in cardiovascular health, mental health and immune health, among others2. Interestingly, it has received a lot of attention recently for its role in SARS-CoV-2 infection, the virus implicated in COVID-19. Low vitamin D levels have been associated with increased disease severity in those with SARS-CoV-23 and supplementation has also been suggested to help prevent infection with coronavirus4.
Wellements Organic Probiotic Drops
Why its great: This probiotic is USDA certified organic and doesnt use any preservatives, dyes, or parabens. It doesnt contain any unnecessary ingredients or fillers. It does come with 2 strains of probiotics that will help improve your childs gut health and support your childs immune system. This one also helps with colic and alleviates gas pains.Wellements can be used for newborns and up. These also only need to be used once a day, which is easy and convenient.
Keep in mind: This one does need to be refrigerated and you need to shake well, and possibly warm it between your hands for a minute, before using. It also dispenses like an essential oil, so its a little more difficult to use.
Good for: Parents that want an organic probiotic for their child.
Read Also: How To Use Probiotics To Lose Weight
Culturelle Baby Probiotic Grow & Thrive Drops 030 Oz And Traditional Medicinals Organic Mothers Milk Tea 16 Tea Bags
- BUILD A STRONG FOUNDATION for infants with Culturelle Baby Grow & Thrive Probiotics & Vitamin D Drops, from the #1 Pediatrician recommended brand.* Gut health is an important factor for immune development and health throughout life
- CULTURELLE BABY USES SAFE, GENTLE INGREDIENTS to help support the digestive and immune system while supplementing good bacteria found in breast milk.* Our Probiotics + Vitamin D Drops help build a strong foundation for your infants healthy development
- EASY TO USE. Dispense into babys mouth, bottle or while breastfeeding. Our Probiotics + Vitamin D Drops combines Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG , the most clinically-studied probiotic in infants, and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis
- Traditional European herbs used to help nursing mothers with breast milk production
- Non-GMO verified All Ingredients Certified Organic Kosher
- Herbal Supplement. The highest quality, pharmacopoeia grade herbs
Culturelle Calm + Comfort Probiotic Chamomile Drops
Why its great: In addition to containing the most clinically studied probiotic strain available, these probiotic drops also contain chamomile extract. Chamomile is thought to have calming benefits, as well as help, reduce gas formation in a babys delicate tummy. Giving babies chamomile tea can be tricky . This product can help.
You can have confidence in buying this brand based on the fact that its one of the top pediatrician-recommended baby probiotics on the market. Take comfort in knowing that you can help your baby by reducing the symptoms that most commonly cause fussiness and crying.
Keep in mind: The design of the dropper can make dosing a bit of a challenge.
Good for: Mommas who also like to supplement with chamomile.
You May Like: Stonehenge Health Dynamic Biotics Probiotics Reviews
How Long Will It Take Before I Notice That My Health Has Improved From Taking Probiotics
Health benefits from taking probiotics can achieved in many areas, such as immune, gut, vaginal and respiratory functions. Since everyone is different, along with the stages of their health, the time at which benefits are noticed will vary within a population. Generally speaking, if our immune system is weak or compromised, we many notice improvements within just a few days. If our health is already good, we may choose to take probiotics for preventive reasons, and may not notice immediate benefits. Either way, probiotic consumption will help balance your gut microflora, boost your immune system and support respiratory health.
What The Experts Say
“Probiotics are essential to the development of healthy gut microbiota – and that starts at birth. Supplemental probiotics are not necessary for breastfed babies as breastmilk contains both pre and probiotics. However, if you are looking to increase your baby’s probiotic intake and provide the 400 IU supplemental vitamin D recommended for breastfed babies, try Culturelle Baby Grow + Thrive Probiotics and Vitamin D drops.
If your baby is not breastfed, check your formula to see if it contains probiotics – if not, it may be beneficial to add one like Enfamil Infant Probiotics Dual Probiotics. As with any supplement, consult your pediatrician before adding a probiotic to your baby’s diet.” Anne Cook Carroll, MS, RDN
Also Check: How Many Live Cultures Should My Probiotic Have
Enfamil Breastfed Infant Probiotics & Vitamin D Dual Probiotics 87ml
- WHAT ARE PROBOITICS: Probiotics are the ‘good’ bacteria that help your little one digest their food, absorb vitamins and develop their intestinal and immune systems
- BENEFITS: Adding probiotic supplements to milk or foods in a little ones routine can help support their gut and immune systems which are important for healthy development
- HELPS EASE COLIC, FUSSINESS AND CRYING. Our baby probiotic blend contains BB-12*, a beneficial bacteria shown to help ease colic and its unpleasant indications
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Our unique dual probiotic blend contains BB-12 and LGG cultures to help support your little ones immune system
- VITAMIN D: Complements breast milk and formula for optimal nutrition to help babies build strong bones*
- FREE FROM: No artificial sweeteners, flavors, or silicone dioxide
How Can Probiotics Help
During infancy, the foundations for a babys gut microbiome are still being laid. The microbes introduced at this stage play a key role in the development of the gut eco-system.Probiotics can be used to add good bacteria to your babys gut, promote the growth of important native bacteria, prevent the growth of harmful bacteria, and maintain an overall healthy digestive system. Certain probiotic species, such as L. reuteri, have been shown to have a direct effect in the reduction of crying and fussing time in colicky babies.Prebiotics are dietary fibers that feed the good gut bacteria, providing the nutrients they need to continue supporting your babys healthy digestion. They help the bacteria help your newborn!
You May Like: What Is The Best Probiotic Supplement To Take Daily
Culturelle Baby Grow + Thrive Probiotic + Vitamin D Packets
Convenient packets help promote your toddlers healthy development, digestion, strong bones and immune system.* For ages 1224 months.
- Supports your toddlers healthy development and builds strong bones*
- Promotes a healthy gastrointestinal microbiome for better digestion and less occasional digestive upset*
- Works with your childs digestive tract, where 70% of their immune system resides*
Are Probiotics Suitable For Babies And Young Children
Probiotics can be consumed at all ages as part of a balanced diet. Before birth, a babys gut is sterile and the immune system immature. The gut microflora of a baby begins to develop at birth. Breast-feeding, or consumption of an infant formula with probiotics, continues the development of a babys gut microflora. As a child grows and changes diet, the microflora in the gut develops accordingly. By the age of two or three, most children have a fairly stable intestinal balance. Their immune system has also matured considerably. Both, may nevertheless, benefit from a continued daily portion of probiotics.
You May Like: Elizabeth Arden Superstart Probiotic Boost Mask
If Your Baby Has Colic
Colic is defined as three or more hours of crying per day on three or more days of the week for a period of three weeks in an otherwise healthy, well-fed infant, says Kaufmann, adding that some research has found that probiotics may decrease crying duration in colicky babies.
If youre looking to prevent colic in the first place, she adds, theres no reason to give your baby a probiotic supplementthere is currently no evidence to support probiotic use as a helpful tool.
Mommys Bliss Probiotic Drops
Why its great: The packaging for this probiotic is one of my favorite things about it. Sure it has an excellent strand of probiotic thats proven to improve gut health too, but let me tell you about the dropper. So, most infant probiotics tell you to administer a certain amount of drops, but it can often be hard to know if youre giving your baby the correct amount. And, sometimes its difficult to get the drops out at all . The dropper that comes in this bottle of probiotics has a black line on it, so you know exactly where to draw the liquid up to.
Mommys Bliss is an excellent woman-owned and woman-run company. Because of this, they understand the needs of mommas. With this easy to use product, you know you are giving your baby what they need, from age newborn and up.
Keep in mind: This product should not exceed temperatures above 77, so you will want to store it accordingly.
Good for: Newborn babies, as the product is safe for babies from day one.
Recommended Reading: Trunature Digestive Probiotic Gummies Costco
Biogaia Protectis Probiotics Drops With Vitamin D
Why its great: This probiotic doesnt come in a glass jar, like most other liquid infant probiotics. Instead, it comes in a squeeze tube with a stopper on the end that makes counting the drops a lot easier . This probiotic can be given as early as the first day of life for infants. The tube seems tiny, but it actually contains a 50 day supply of probiotics and vitamin D.This product is great for breastfeeding mommas. Its recommended that breastfed babies take a daily supplement of vitamin D, which this product contains . Instead of giving 2 separate supplements, you can just give 1! You can administer this product in pumped milk, on a spoon, or even put it on your nipple before breastfeeding.
Keep in mind: This product is only shelf stable up to 77 degrees F, so delivery in the middle of the summer can be problematic.
Good for: Breastfeeding mommas who need to give their baby vitamin D drops as well as probiotics.
Gerber Gentle Baby Everyday Probiotic Drops For Newborn Infants Baby & Toddlers Digestive Health & Immune System Clinically Proven 034 Fl Oz
- SUPPORT HEALTHY GUT FLORA: This non-GMO formula features probiotics effective in helping support healthy gut flora for babies born by C-section, shown to provide health benefits when taken daily.
- GENTLE PROBIOTICS: This non-GMO formula features probiotics that help support babies’ developing immune systems, and are shown to provide health benefits in infants when taken daily
- FOR DEVELOPING TUMMIES: Probiotics contribute to a babys developing gut microbiota. Addressing issues such as colic, excessive crying & spit-ups, see the difference probiotics can make for your baby
- GERBER GOODNESS: Our foods start with whole ingredients like real fruits, veggies & grains to help nourish your baby right from the start, from infant formula to baby food to snacks and toddler food
- NUTRITION FOR GROWING: Like your baby, we’re always growing & learning. More than ever we’re committed to being your partner in parenthood with quality ingredients, nutritious food & expert guidance.
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
Recommended Reading: Only Natural Pet Probiotic Blend
Vitamin D And Probiotics
Probiotics have a similar effect to vitamin D on the gut microbiome composition. As described above, vitamin D can help to inhibit the growth of more harmful bacteria in the gut. Similarly, probiotics can deter the growth of undesirable bacteria by competing with the offenders for space and nutrients, and by producing their own natural anti-microbial substances . We also know that friendly bacteria have been shown to increase absorption of vitamin D in the gut. To learn more about how probiotics can influence vitamin D absorption, read Probiotics aid vitamin D absorption.
Mary Ruths Liquid Probiotic For Infants
Why its great: Soothing and supporting our babies overall health is a goal all of us mommas have, and this infant probiotic delivers. This proprietary blend is intended for babies 0-12 months. Each bottle contains 84 servings of organic probiotics , which is more than most of the other options. Another added bonus, unlike some probiotics, this blend doesnt require refrigeration.
Keep in mind: This probiotic isnt flavored, so some babies have an aversion to the taste .
Good for: Mommas with multiple babies needing probiotics, as the bottle is bigger than most of its competitors.
Recommended Reading: Probiotics With Prebiotics & Cranberry Para Que Sirve
Culturelle Kids Packets Daily Probiotic Supplement
- FROM THE #1 PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED PROBIOTIC BRAND, Culturelle Kids Daily Probiotic Packets help your childs digestive tract to work better and support a healthy immune system when taken regularly
- HAPPY TUMMIES, HEALTHY KIDS, RELAXED PARENTS. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG – the key ingredient in Culturelle Kids Daily Probiotic Packets – is clinically proven to help reduce occasional tummy troubles, including diarrhea and occasional digestive upset
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE- Not all probiotics for kids are created equal. Pick Culturelle Kids Packets, exclusively powered by LGG, the Proven Effective Probiotic
- EASY FOR YOUR LITTLE ONES TO TAKE – For best results, mix entire contents of Culturelle Kids Daily Probiotic Packet into cool food or drink. Best for toddlers and children ages 1+. Free of gluten, dairy, lactose, milk, added colors, preservatives, yeast and soy
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
Mommy’s Bliss Baby Probiotic Drops Everyday
- INFANT PROBIOTICS: Mommy’s Bliss baby Probiotic Drops Everyday use the world’s most researched probiotic strain. Recommended by pediatricians, Baby Probiotic Drops Everyday are a daily liquid probiotic supplement for babies that you can use from birth.
- BABY PROBIOTICS: A healthy gut means a happy tummy, and probiotics can help keep baby’s belly happy by supporting their digestive system as they digest food and absorb vitamins. Mommy’s Bliss probiotics are pediatrician recommended.
- REMEDIES FOR BABY: Our remedies help ease baby’s discomfort & bring back smiles*. From gripe water to help calm colic or tummy troubles, to organic baby cough syrup, baby probiotic drops, or baby vitamins, we help you find your parenting bliss*.
- MOMMY’S BLISS: Stockup with our gentle remedies to help bring comfort for the occasional cough, or colicky tummy trouble *. Probiotic drops and vitamins help support healthy immune systems*, for healthy, happy kids.
Read Also: L Reuteri And Glycerol Probiotic
The Power Of Vitamin D
This fascinating new research highlights how vitamin D supplementation, both directly to your child and to mum during pregnancy & breastfeeding, can influence your little ones gut microbiome. Currently, the significance of the genus of bacteria that vitamin D has been shown to reduce is unclear. However, as the studies suggest, vitamin D certainly has far-reaching benefits, in the gut and beyond!
If you are looking for a daily probiotic supplement for your baby, you may like to consider Optibac Baby Drops.
If you found this article interesting, you may also like to read: