Side Effects And Interactions
When you first start taking enzymes and/or probiotics, its common to experience an increase in gas and bloating.
If you experience any nausea or diarrhea that lasts for more than a day or two, its probably best to stop.
Allergic reactions can also be an issue for some people, such as itching, rash, stomach pain, and difficulty swallowing. If this happens, stop taking the supplements and seek medical attention
Digestive enzyme and probiotics supplements can interfere with certain medications, such as diabetes medications and blood thinners.
If you take any medications, share the list of ingredients of the product youre considering with your doctor to ensure there are no interactions you need to worry about.
Digestion And Enzymes Prebiotic Vs Probiotic Vs Digestive Enzymes
Of course, we all know this. Its been taught in schools since 5th grade. However, do we really know what happens inside our stomach? Do we really know how and why food gets digested?
When we talk about digestion, theres another thing that should really not be left out of the subject. Enzymes. These chemicals are the major agents in changing food items into nutrients. The enzymes are also responsible for almost all biological reactions inside and outside the body.
It is certain that life would not be like it is without enzymes. This is even if life can even exist in the first place in the first.
There are three organs that are the most responsible for providing our body with enzymes. These are the stomach small intestine, and the pancreas.
Among these, the pancreas is considered the enzyme powerhouse in the human body as it provides the enzymes needed to break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
You might already be aware of this, but there are many kinds of digestive enzymes which break down different types of food. The pancreas alone, the engine that we discussed earlier is responsible for three types of the most important digestive enzymes. They are:
- Amylase which breaks down complex carbohydrates. It is also produced by the mouth.
- Lipase, which breaks down fats.
- Protease helps break down proteins.
The small intestine also makes several major enzymes, which include:
- Lactase which breaks down lactose.
- Sucrase that breaks down sucrose.
Vitapost Digestive Enzymes Dosage And Use
As with most supplements on the market, it needs the same dosage in order to receive maximum benefits of VitaPost Digestive Enzymes. In this instance it is recommended to take 1 or 2 capsules prior to every meal.
However, this might be unpractical since one bottle VitaPost Digestive Enzyme has 60 capsules. The recommended dosage may be a bottle that lasts only ten days.
A good sweet spot is to use 2 tablets per day and make sure you consume it prior to the most hefty meals. Doing so maximizes your usage of the capsule, while still giving your body the ability to work without the need for supplements. However, the number of times you consume each capsule is dependent on you.
Six capsules is recommended to be the minimum. Anything more than that could cause adverse effects.
Read Also: Probiotics For 6 Month Old
How To Know If You Should Take Probiotics Or Digestive Enzymes
So, how do you know which one to take? Or should you take both? The answer lies in your symptoms, or the signals your body is giving you. Some common clues you might need probiotics include:*
- Issues with regularity
- Mood challenges, like anxiousness and irritability
- Need further support of your immune system
“A disrupted gut flora opens the door for unfriendly microbes to step in and take over, creating all sorts of issues,” Pedre explains. And when it comes to digestive enzymes, Amy Shah, M.D., says they’re especially helpful for people who aren’t producing adequate amounts of enzymes on their own or have low stomach acid.
Terry Wahls, M.D., previously told mbg that people with bloating and gas, especially those who are over the age of 50, are also more likely to be at risk for low production of enzymes and low stomach acid.
Even if you don’t have a known digestive issue, the following are some signs you may need digestive enzymes:
- Lack of bowel movement regularity
- Frequent burping
- Feeling especially full after a meal, a “brick in your stomach” feeling
It’s also possible that both probiotics and digestive enzymes could be helpful. You can generally take digestive enzymes and probiotics together, since they do different things. In fact, it’s often encouraged. Of course, you should always talk to your doctor before adding any new supplements to your routine.
What Exactly Is A Microbiome
Imagine a bustling city on a Monday morning: the sidewalks flooded with people and the streets packed with cars rushing to and fro. Now picture this on a microscopic level, and you have an idea of what the microbiome looks like in your body.
Each person has a completely unique network of microbiota that is determined by their DNA. Your body has trillions of microorganisms called microbiota or microbes. These include bacteria and fungi. If youre healthy, these microorganisms coexist peacefully, most of them found in the small and large intestines. Even though its not technically an organ, the microbiome is labeled an honorary organ because it plays so many key roles in the daily operations of your body.
Probiotics naturally contain live bacteria and can help support a healthy microbiota.
Read Also: How To Get Probiotics Into Your Gut
Ingredients & Potential Interactions
It is essential to carefully read the ingredient list and nutrition facts panel of a supplement to know which ingredients and how much of each ingredient is included, relative to the recommended daily value of that ingredient. Please bring the supplement label to your healthcare provider to review the different ingredients contained in the supplement and any potential interactions between these ingredients and other supplements and medications you are taking.
Digestive enzymes may be derived from plant or animal sources. If you are vegan, vegetarian, or avoid certain animal products for religious reasons, read product labels carefully. Key ingredients to be aware of:
- Porcine : Commonly found in enzyme products targeting fat digestion, such as over-the-counter pancreatic enzymes.* Those who do not eat pork may choose to avoid this ingredient.
- Ox : Commonly found in enzyme products targeting fat digestion , as well as pancreatic enzyme products.* Those who do not eat beef may choose to avoid this ingredient.
- Aspergillus niger: A plant-based mold. Those who are vegan can consume this source.
- Trichoderma: A plant-based fungus. Those who are vegan can consume this source.
*Over-the-counter pancreatic enzymes are not the same as the high-dose prescription enzyme replacement needed for pancreatic insufficiency.
Sugar alcohols include:
Supports Digestion Comfort & Gi Balance For Plant
First shipment within 1 business day with FREE standard shipping.
Consistency is key with this product.
My wife and I use this at every dinner.
Tom, Rochester Hills, MI
- FLORASSIST® Prebiotic Chewable , 60 vegetarian chewable tablets
Enhanced Super Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics
60 vegetarian capsules
$0.35/count | 30 – 60 Day Supply
What Do Digestive Enzyme Supplements Help With
In addition to our own endogenous production of digestive enzymes, enzymes can also be extracted from foods and taken as supplements. Digestive enzyme supplements can be helpful for those struggling with uncomfortable symptoms such as acid reflux, constipation, nausea, diarrhoea, indigestion and food sensitivities, IBS, gas, bloating and other complications. That being said, it must be noted that diet and lifestyle are equally important when trying to support digestion. Its not only about how we digest our food, its what, how, and where we eat which can affect the digestive process and the production of enzymes too.
A growing problem in our modern lifestyle is that for many people, eating on the move, in front of the TV, or at a desk, is a common occurrence. As a result, they can bypass crucial stages of their digestive process:
But even when good digestive practices are followed, there are still other situations when our enzyme production might be compromised.
Herbsmith Microflora Plus Dog Digestion Aid Probiotics And Digestive Enzymes For Dogs Prebiotic For Dogs 60 Capsules
- GAS RELIEF FOR DOGS Doggie farts are the worst, but theyre also a symptom of digestive upset. Probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, and gut soothing herbs all work together to ensure food is properly digested. Consistent use helps to keep harmful bacteria such as E. coli and salmonella from growing in your dogs gastrointestinal tract. In turn a gas-free dog!
- Age range description: all life stages
- MADE IN THE USA This supplement was developed by holistic veterinarian, Dr. Chris Bessent, who owns and operates Herbsmiths two facilities in Wisconsin. Its quality you can trust from a veterinarian with over 30 years of experience.
- EASY-TO-GIVE CAPSULES Microflora Plus is packaged in a simple capsule form, easily given with a treat. The canine probiotic powder is kept sealed to ensure each dose is as strong as the next. Even if your pet turns their nose up at the thought of taking a pill, the capsule can be opened sprinkled over their food, served with bone broth, or mixed into a homemade treat like a meatball! Just be sure to only open the dose when you need it.
You May Like: What Is The Best Natural Probiotic Supplement
Health Plus Prebiotic Formula
- Food for your good bacteria
- Supports digestive health with proprietary prebiotic blend
- Provides nutrients to promote growth of good bacteria
- May be taken continually to support overall health
- Packaging may vary from images – our packaging was recently redesigned, but no matter version you receive, it will contain the same great Health Plus product inside
How We Select Supplements
Our team works hard to be transparent about why we recommend certain supplements you can read more about our dietary supplement methodology here.
We support supplements that are evidence-based and rooted in science. We value certain product attributes that we find to be associated with the highest quality products. We prioritize products that are third-party tested and certified by one of three independent, third party certifiers: USP, NSF, or ConsumerLab.
It’s important to note that the FDA does not review dietary supplements for safety and effectiveness before they go to market. Our team of experts has created a detailed, science-backed methodology to choose the supplements we recommend.
Don’t Miss: What Is Acidophilus Probiotic Good For
Special Offers And Product Promotions
- 5% coupon applied at checkout to save 5% on this product when you buy from Purely Optimal.
- Save 10% on 2 of every 2 Qualifying items you purchase offered by Purely Optimal. Enter code PURELYOPT2 at checkout.
- Save 20% on 5 of every 5 Qualifying items you purchase offered by Purely Optimal. Enter code PURELYOPT5 at checkout.
- Save 15% on 3 of every 3 Qualifying items you purchase offered by Purely Optimal. Enter code PURELYOPT3 at checkout.
Digestive Enzymes Probiotic And Prebiotic
- Dont let your stomach decide the menu. Signs of poor gut health may include bloating, gassiness, cramps, diarrhea, and symptoms of IBS. A single, vegan capsule before meals could make the difference.
- Your team of good bacteria. A billion colony forming units per capsule compliment the natural bacteria in your gut, optimizing digestion of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in your food.
- Calming natural probiotics. Includes bifidobacterium bifidum, lactobacillus plantarum, and lactobacillus reuteri probiotics for digestive health. Plus bioactive, spirulina, fennel, and peppermint.
- Love the food that doesnt love you back. Maximum potency vegan capsules, packed with powerful natural ingredients to ease smooth digestion and reduce the frequency of pain, bloating, and nausea.
- Get more from your food. An underperforming digestive system prevents full absorption of nutrients. These digestive enzyme supplements can help you get the full nutritional benefit of what you eat.
You May Like: Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Probiotics
Benefits Of Taking An Enzyme / Probiotic Supplement
Lets take a look at some of the research that has been done on digestive enzymes + probiotics supplements.
First, digestive enzymes
- 2011 study: When people with IBS took a combination of digestive enzymes and soluble fibers, they noticed a significant reduction in stomach discomfort, gas, and bloating.
- 2011 study: Digestive enzyme supplementation significantly improved bloating, flatulence and abdominal pain, with a slight increasing of urgency for bowel movements.
- 2014 study: Digestive enzyme supplements may offer a valuable alternative to gastroprokinetic drugs to relieve various common gastrointestinal complaints.
- 2016 study: Enzyme supplementation therapy may play an important role in several digestive and malabsorption disorders, including exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and lactose intolerance.
- 2018 study: Enzyme supplementation led to statistically significant differences in all efficacy parameters compared with placebo for people with dyspepsia (which includes symptoms such as bloating, early satiety, postprandial fullness, nausea, anorexia and heartburn, regurgitation, and burping
- 2019 research review: A number of double-blinded placebo-controlled studies report a beneficial effect of oral enzyme therapy for patients with dyspepsia and IBS symptoms.
- Animal studies have found that a probiotic plus digestive enzyme supplement may help lower harmful LDL and increase HDL.
Prebiotic Vs Probiotic Vs Digestive Enzymes
Although the human body is able to endure for weeks without food and still be healthy, food is vital to our own existence. It could be food you like eating, snack foods, comfort food or even eating in the most luxurious restaurant or food you have to eat to maintain your health. Its food.
Food is food so far as our tastes are concerned. However, if our stomachs, and, by extension the entire body are concerned, food is more than just food. Its the battery that helps keep our body operating optimally.
I have mentioned before that the body is able to go for weeks without eating and it is the truth. The body can survive with water as the sole source of nourishment, however, that is a miserable life. There is not only the absence of taste but your body would have no food to digest. Prebiotic Vs Probiotic Vs Digestive Enzymes
For those of you who prefer a more visual experience, here is a video review by ReviewsMS YouTube channel. To get a comprehensive overview of Digestive Enzymes, you may still want to check out our article below.
Recommended Reading: Good Probiotic To Take With Antibiotics
Tips For Using Digestive Enzymes Effectively
Digestive enzymes require specific conditions to do their job. A product is most likely to be effective with the following considerations:
Improved Digestion And Nutrient Absorption
Your diet and nutrition play critical roles in your overall health and wellbeing. Everything that goes inside your gut shouldnât only satiate your hunger but more importantly, deliver the nutritional benefits your body needs. You can only receive these nutrients if youâre able to digest your food properly, which is why digestion is so important! By supplementing with digestive enzymes, it will help break down your food so your body can absorb the most vitamins and nutrients for energy and strength.
You can live in comfort again with our specially formulated Digestive Enzymes supplement! Packed with 12 premium enzymes that break down your food for easy digestion, our supplement also contains 2 billion CFU of powerful Multi-Strain Probiotic, potent Organic Prebiotic Complex, and 250mg Wholefoods Enzyme Complex. All of these work together to keep your gut healthy so you can enjoy stronger immunity, stay physically active, keep your mental focus, and enjoy each day without any digestive issues!
You May Like: Is Garden Of Life A Good Probiotic
Digestion And Enzymes Digestive Enzymes Plus Prebiotics & Probiotics
Of course, we all know this. This has been taught in schools since 5th grade. However, do we really know what happens inside the stomach? Do we really know how and why food gets digested?
If we are talking about digestion, there is another aspect that shouldnt be overlooked in the subject. Enzymes. These are the primary agents in making food and food products into nutrients. The enzymes are also responsible for almost all biological reactions inside and outside the body.
It is safe to say that life wouldnt be like it is without enzymes. That is, in the event that life exists in the first place.
There are three organs that are mostly responsible for supplying your body with the enzymes it needs. They are the stomach small intestine, and the pancreas.
In this regard, the pancreas is regarded as an enzyme powerhouse of the body, as it is responsible for the enzymes required to are responsible for breaking down proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
You may be aware of this however, there are many types of digestive enzymes and they all break down different kinds of food items. The pancreas alone, the engine that we discussed earlier, produces three types of the most important digestive enzymes. They are:
- Amylase is a enzyme that is a enzyme that breaks down complex carbohydrates. Amylase is a enzyme that breaks down complex. Also , it is produced in the mouth.
- Lipase, which breaks down fats.
- Protease is a protein-breaking enzyme that breaks down proteins.