If Your Baby Has Colic
Colic is defined as three or more hours of crying per day on three or more days of the week for a period of three weeks in an otherwise healthy, well-fed infant, says Kaufmann, adding that some research has found that probiotics may decrease crying duration in colicky babies.
If youre looking to prevent colic in the first place, she adds, theres no reason to give your baby a probiotic supplementthere is currently no evidence to support probiotic use as a helpful tool.
If You Want To Prevent Antibiotic
If your baby is on an antibiotic for any reason, diarrhea may be a side effect, and a probiotic might help, according to Kaufmann. Based on findings, there seems to be an overall protective effect of probiotics in preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
In fact, a double blind, placebo-controlled study found that infants receiving probiotics had less episodes of diarrhea than the control group Jirapinyo P, Densupsoontorn N, Thamonsiri N, Wongarn R. Prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in infants by probiotics. J Med Assoc Thai. 2002.85 2:S739-42. .
Culturelle Baby Grow + Thrive Drops 030 Fl Oz
Item No. 0385750
Continue building a strong foundation of health for your baby Continue to build a strong foundation for your baby with Culturelle Baby Grow + Thrive Probiotics + Vitamin D Drops, from the #1 Pediatrician recommended brand. As your baby develops, they’re being exposed to good and non-beneficial bacteria which may lead to an imbalance in their tummy.
Recommended Reading: Dairy Free Probiotics For Kids
Wellements Organic Probiotic Drops
Why its great: This probiotic is USDA certified organic and doesnt use any preservatives, dyes, or parabens. It doesnt contain any unnecessary ingredients or fillers. It does come with 2 strains of probiotics that will help improve your childs gut health and support your childs immune system. This one also helps with colic and alleviates gas pains.Wellements can be used for newborns and up. These also only need to be used once a day, which is easy and convenient.
Keep in mind: This one does need to be refrigerated and you need to shake well, and possibly warm it between your hands for a minute, before using. It also dispenses like an essential oil, so its a little more difficult to use.
Good for: Parents that want an organic probiotic for their child.
Read Also: How To Use Probiotics To Lose Weight
Your Baby Has Acute Gastroenteritis
Acute gastroenteritis is defined as diarrhea or vomiting that lasts more than seven days. You should always talk to your doctor if your baby is experiencing these symptoms, and there is some evidence that probiotics can help, according to Kaufmann. The effect is that probiotics compete with enteric pathogens, there are then less nutrients for these pathogens, and probiotics increase immune response, she says.
One systematic review of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials found that the use of probiotics compared with placebo was associated with a significantly lower risk of diarrhea lasting more than three daysSzajewska H, Mrukowicz JZ. Probiotics in the treatment and prevention of acute infectious diarrhea in infants and children: a systematic review of published randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2001. 33 2:S17-25. .
You May Like: Do Probiotics Help With Inflammation
Best Baby Probiotic Drops Reviews
Choosing the appropriate baby probiotic drops can be tough. However, if you consider these factors, your job will be easier.
- Product Quality: A product that you won’t have to buy again or that will last you a long time is an important consideration, especially when it comes to the baby probiotic drops. Nobody would want a low-quality or easily worn-out object. They are even willing to spend a somewhat greater price for a good product.
- Ease of Use- A vital trait of any replace_keyword] is its ease of use, so most item did well in this metric. How easily can you use your product?
- Ergonomics Ergonomics was a much simpler metric for these products. We split it into three aspects: comfort, aesthetics, and profile design. Most of our listed products are decently comfortable, and we think it is one of the group’s sleeker and more stylish designs.
- Comfort Comfort is the other primary factor we took into consideration when evaluating baby probiotic drops. After all, the more comfortable a baby probiotic drops is, the less likely you will dislike it. We pay attention to softness, shape, and size.
- Value is always important, but the range for baby probiotic drops is relatively narrow. We feel that the #1 model offers a great value for most people and that the #2 is great for advanced users.
#1 Best Overall baby probiotic drops:
After considering the above, we nominated this model as our Top Pick.
See the details features here:
Culturelle Calm + Comfort Probiotic Chamomile Drops
Why its great: In addition to containing the most clinically studied probiotic strain available, these probiotic drops also contain chamomile extract. Chamomile is thought to have calming benefits, as well as help, reduce gas formation in a babys delicate tummy. Giving babies chamomile tea can be tricky . This product can help.
You can have confidence in buying this brand based on the fact that its one of the top pediatrician-recommended baby probiotics on the market. Take comfort in knowing that you can help your baby by reducing the symptoms that most commonly cause fussiness and crying.
Keep in mind: The design of the dropper can make dosing a bit of a challenge.
Good for: Mommas who also like to supplement with chamomile.
You May Like: Stonehenge Health Dynamic Biotics Probiotics Reviews
Read Also: What Is The Best Natural Probiotic
What Types Of Probiotics Are Available
Baby probiotics are sold as powders and drops, which are the most common for young babies and usually given either by spoon or added to a bottle. If you’re nursing, you can also try putting the drops directly on your breast before baby latches.
Note that probiotics aren’t regulated as medications by the Food and Drug Administration , so, as Dr. Ferry says, “It can be helpful to discuss with your pediatrician to ensure you are choosing a product with reliable manufacturing processes.”
Bacteria And Your Gut
The human GI tract is inhabited by trillions of bacteria. In fact, our bodies contain more bacterial cells than human cells! All bacteria are not created equal, however. While some cause illness, many other types are beneficialeven essentialfor good health.
Along with housing all those bacteria , the GI tract serves as the body’s largest reservoir of immune cells, making it one of the most important lines of defense against infection. This makes sense when you think about the number of bacteria that enter our bodies through our mouths.
And when we consider all the things that babies and children put into their mouths, you can begin to see why the GI tract plays such a big role in fighting off infection.
Good bacteria, such as those found in probiotics, are the workhorses of the gut, maintaining a healthy environment for your immune cells so that they can function effectively to keep you from getting sick.
Regularly eating foods or taking supplements that contain probiotics is one way to help increase the numbers of good bacteria so that they out-compete the bad bacteria.
Excellent gut health, which is closely linked to the health of your immune system, is achieved by striking a balance between the good and the bad bacteria. Both will always be present in your GI tract. Your job is to feed the good bacteria so that they can outnumber the bad guys.
Recommended Reading: How To Buy Probiotics Supplements
How Are They Administered
Vitamin D drops come with liquid droppers or in little drop or squeeze bottles. The bottles usually specify to put a drop on your nipple or a clean washed surface, like your finger. Both are safe, DeZure says, as long as you stick with the delivery form your vitamin came with and give your child the recommended dose.
What Does The Research Say About Baby Probiotics
One of the key things to know about probiotics is that “the research shows that these products dont appear to be harmful,” Dr. Ferry says. And studies also support, at least tentatively, the link between probiotics and better gut health.
“According to a statement by the American Academy of Pediatrics, probiotics appear to be modestly effective at treating acute viral gastroenteritis and preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea,” says Dr. Ferry. “There is encouraging but preliminary data for their role in helping irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, atopy and infantile colic, and even more conflicting data on the potential for probiotics to reduce food allergies.
Many frazzled parents of colicky babies may be wondering if it’s worth trying a probiotic to calm their little one, and the answer is: perhaps. “There is some data that probiotics, especially lactobacillus strains, may be helpful in reducing colic and have shown to result in overall less crying or fussiness,” says Dr. Ferry.
If you’re hoping a probiotic might help clear up rashes caused by eczema, it’s not totally clear whether it will work. “Data regarding decreases in eczema or atopy are slightly more mixed,” says Dr. Ferry, adding, “The largest benefit appears to be when moms start taking a probiotic during pregnancy and then continue during infancy.”
Don’t Miss: Does Freezing Yogurt Kill The Probiotics
How We Chose The Best Baby Probiotics
To choose the best baby probiotic, we used the above guidance from Dr. Ferry to start our search. We looked for probiotics that had lactobacillus and/or bifidobacterium, which Dr. Ferry says are the two most common probiotic strains . We also researched which options were recommended the most by What to Expect community members and our contributing writer staff. We also made sure each probiotic had high reviews from other reviewers who tried them online.
Below, the best baby probiotics to ask your pediatrician about.
See registry advice and a custom baby gear checklist
Culturelle Baby Grow + Thrive Probiotic + Vitamin D Packets
Convenient packets help promote your toddlers healthy development, digestion, strong bones and immune system.* For ages 1224 months.
- Supports your toddlers healthy development and builds strong bones*
- Promotes a healthy gastrointestinal microbiome for better digestion and less occasional digestive upset*
- Works with your childs digestive tract, where 70% of their immune system resides*
Don’t Miss: Best Probiotic Supplement For Dogs
Culturelle Baby Probiotic Grow & Thrive Drops 030 Oz And Traditional Medicinals Organic Mothers Milk Tea 16 Tea Bags
- BUILD A STRONG FOUNDATION for infants with Culturelle Baby Grow & Thrive Probiotics & Vitamin D Drops, from the #1 Pediatrician recommended brand.* Gut health is an important factor for immune development and health throughout life
- CULTURELLE BABY USES SAFE, GENTLE INGREDIENTS to help support the digestive and immune system while supplementing good bacteria found in breast milk.* Our Probiotics + Vitamin D Drops help build a strong foundation for your infants healthy development
- EASY TO USE. Dispense into babys mouth, bottle or while breastfeeding. Our Probiotics + Vitamin D Drops combines Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG , the most clinically-studied probiotic in infants, and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis
- Traditional European herbs used to help nursing mothers with breast milk production
- Non-GMO verified All Ingredients Certified Organic Kosher
- Herbal Supplement. The highest quality, pharmacopoeia grade herbs
How Can Probiotics Help
During infancy, the foundations for a babys gut microbiome are still being laid. The microbes introduced at this stage play a key role in the development of the gut eco-system.Probiotics can be used to add good bacteria to your babys gut, promote the growth of important native bacteria, prevent the growth of harmful bacteria, and maintain an overall healthy digestive system. Certain probiotic species, such as L. reuteri, have been shown to have a direct effect in the reduction of crying and fussing time in colicky babies.Prebiotics are dietary fibers that feed the good gut bacteria, providing the nutrients they need to continue supporting your babys healthy digestion. They help the bacteria help your newborn!
You May Like: What Is The Best Probiotic Supplement To Take Daily
Read Also: Best Probiotic For Candida Albicans
The Power Of Vitamin D
This fascinating new research highlights how vitamin D supplementation, both directly to your child and to mum during pregnancy & breastfeeding, can influence your little ones gut microbiome. Currently, the significance of the genus of bacteria that vitamin D has been shown to reduce is unclear. However, as the studies suggest, vitamin D certainly has far-reaching benefits, in the gut and beyond!
If you are looking for a daily probiotic supplement for your baby, you may like to consider Optibac Baby Drops.
If you found this article interesting, you may also like to read:
Biogaia Protectis Baby Drops With Vitamin Dbaby And Child Gut Health
BioGaia Protectis baby drops vitamin D3 is a probiotic dietary supplement containing the patented lactic acid bacterium Limosilactobacillus reuteri Protectis and vitamin D3 that helps the good microorganisms restore a natural balance in the gut.* Vitamin D contributes to the normal function of the immune system in children and is also needed for normal growth and development of bone in children*
- 5 drops once daily
- One dose consists of a minimum of 100 million live L. reuteri Protectis and 10 µg vitamin D3
- One of the safest and most clinically studied probiotics in infants
- Tested in more than 150 clinical trials
- Strong adaptation to persist and interact with humans
- Recommended by pediatricians all over the world
- 74 million sold bottles
Important: Shake well for 10 seconds before each use to mix the bacteria culture with the oil. We recommend to give the drops by spoon. Do not add to hot drink or food as this may damage the live bacteria.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent and disease.
*Vitamin D contributes to the normal function of the immune system in children1 and is also needed for normal growth and development of bone in children2. Referens: 1. EFSA-Q-2014-00826 2. EFSA-Q-2008-116
Recommended Reading: Best Probiotic And Prebiotic For Weight Loss
Are There Any Other Safety Precautions I Should Keep In Mind
Research a product before buying. Dietary supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so look for well-known brands, Shu says. And if you have a question about a vitamin D supplement, just check with your pediatrician.
BabyCenter’s editorial team is committed to providing the most helpful and trustworthy pregnancy and parenting information in the world. When creating and updating content, we rely on credible sources: respected health organizations, professional groups of doctors and other experts, and published studies in peer-reviewed journals. We believe you should always know the source of the information you’re seeing. Learn more about our editorial and medical review policies.
AAP. 2014. American Academy of Pediatrics. Where We Stand: Vitamins.
AAP. 2016. American Academy of Pediatrics. Vitamin D: On the Double. September 2016.
CDC. 2021. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vitamin D.
Vitamin D And Probiotics
Probiotics have a similar effect to vitamin D on the gut microbiome composition. As described above, vitamin D can help to inhibit the growth of more harmful bacteria in the gut. Similarly, probiotics can deter the growth of undesirable bacteria by competing with the offenders for space and nutrients, and by producing their own natural anti-microbial substances . We also know that friendly bacteria have been shown to increase absorption of vitamin D in the gut. To learn more about how probiotics can influence vitamin D absorption, read Probiotics aid vitamin D absorption.
You May Like: What Probiotics Help With Weight Loss
Mommy’s Bliss Baby Probiotic Drops Everyday
- BABY PROBIOTICS: A healthy gut means a happy tummy, and probiotics can help keep baby’s belly happy by supporting their digestive system as they digest food and absorb vitamins. Mommy’s Bliss probiotics are pediatrician recommended.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- REMEDIES FOR BABY: Our remedies help ease baby’s discomfort & bring back smiles*. From gripe water to help calm colic or tummy troubles, to organic baby cough syrup, baby probiotic drops, or baby vitamins, we help you find your parenting bliss*.
- INFANT PROBIOTICS: Mommy’s Bliss baby Probiotic Drops Everyday use the world’s most researched probiotic strain. Recommended by pediatricians, Baby Probiotic Drops Everyday are a daily liquid probiotic supplement for babies that you can use from birth.
- NOTE: Cloudy yellow appearance is normal. Do not add to hot food or before warming heat will damage live probiotics. Glass Dropper: Do not place in mouth. If washed, dry thoroughly before reuse
What Are Vitamin D Drops
Vitamin D drops are liquid vitamin D supplements for infants. Theyre administered via a liquid dropper or squeeze bottle and typically, a babys full dose comes in a single drop .
Liquid drops are, of course, the easiest and safest delivery form for the toothless set. But liquid vitamin D is also highly absorbable, notes DeZure, ensuring that your little one gets all the nutrition she needs.
You May Like: Best Probiotic For Older Women