Which Probiotics Are Best For Wind And Bloating
Probiotics may not be helpful for wind and bloating, as this can be a side effect of taking probiotics for some children.
However, for children with Irritable Bowel Syndrome , there is some evidence that probiotics could help with general IBS symptoms such as stomach pain but more research needs to be done.
Nordic Naturals Babys Nordic Flora Probiotic Powder
Why its great: This one is the least expensive and it comes in powder packets that are easy to use. Each packet is the correct dosage, so you dont have to worry about measuring out the right amount. It has 4 billion CFU and contains 2 strains of probiotics that are proven to help with digestive health. This probiotic is also completely odorless and tasteless, which means its also easier to get your child to take it.You get 30 doses with this box and it is best for babies and toddlers 6 months to 3 years old.
Keep in mind: This one is for 6 months and up, so youll need to find something else to use for newborns.
Good for: Parents that want a good quality probiotic on a budget.
How Gut Bacteria Affects Baby
If you ask any random group of moms and grandmas, youll probably hear plenty about allergies, eczema, colic, and gas in infants. These health issues are common today because of our collective bad gut health, but that doesnt mean they are normal. Babies shouldnt have these issues.
Why is it happening? I have some guesses:
- Beneficial bacteria is important for proper digestion of food and to absorb nutrients. Without this balance in the gut, babies can have digestive issues like colic, acid reflux, and gas.
- Gut health also plays a big role in overall immunity. As Hippocrates said, All disease begins in the gut. Studies back this up. Interestingly, when mice with poor gut bacteria were given a fecal transplant from a healthy mouse their health improved.
- As far back as the 1930s researchers have noticed a connection between the gut and skin. Studies show that many people with gut health issues also have skin issues. Other studies found that probiotic supplementation decreased skin symptoms. Anecdotally, I know many families who have seen marked reduction in skin issues like eczema when they began addressing gut health.
Though gut health is incredibly important for optimal health, and many of us dont have very good gut health, theres still hope. Whether baby was born via cesarean birth, fed formula, given solids too early, or simply inherited moms poor gut health, there are easy things we can do to improve gut health naturally.
Don’t Miss: Best Probiotic At Whole Foods
Effect Of L Reuteri On Crying Time
The effect of L. reuteri on crying time was compared to simethicone or placebo. Data on crying time were reported by all three trials as a primary outcome and involved 209 infants. At seven days after initiation of treatment, infants in the probiotic group had a significantly shorter crying time. The crying time at 7 days was significant only in the fixed effects model, but was insignificant in the random effects model. However, the treatment effect was continuous and stabilized at three weeks following the initiation of therapy. Probiotics decreased crying times by almost one hour . In order to reduce heterogeneity and the potential effect of simethicone, a sensitivity analysis on only the double-blind, placebo-controlled, trials was conducted. The heterogeneity remained unaltered with a strikingly similar reduction in crying time at 21 days .
Forest plot of L. reuteri ATCC 55730 and L. reuteri DSM 17938 versus control effect in decreasing mean crying times over 28 days.
Which Probiotics Are Safe For Children
While many researchers believe that having a balanced microbiome is important in infants and children, the use of probiotics and their potential benefits needs more study, since some children can experience gas or bloating with probiotics.
Cows milk isnt recommended for children to ingest until they are at least a year old, but yogurt is safe for babies between 4 and 8 months. However, you should always check with your pediatrician before adding any supplement or probiotic food to your childs diet.
Children who are chronically ill or who have compromised immune systems should never be given probiotics due to the potential for serious side effects.
Read Also: Can Probiotics Help With Chlamydia
How To Choose The Best Probiotic For Your Child
There are several factors to consider when determining which probiotic is right for your child, including:
- CFU count. While the recommended dosage may vary depending on your childs age and health needs, most studies show that doses ranging from 10 million to 10 billion CFUs may be beneficial .
- Strains. Some strains of probiotics may be better suited to address certain health problems. Look for a supplement formulated to treat the aspects of health that are most important to you.
- Form. Probiotics are usually found as gummies, powders, or chewable tablets. Some kids may prefer gummies, while powders may be more suitable for infants and younger children. Keep in mind that gummy supplements should be kept out of reach of children.
- Dietary needs. If your child has any allergies, intolerances, or dietary restrictions, its important to find a probiotic tailored to their needs.
- Cost. Probiotics can vary quite a bit in terms of price, so be sure to consider your budget.
Keep in mind that probiotics should be used only as recommended by a healthcare professional. Be sure to talk with your childs pediatrician before starting supplementation.
However, probiotics may not be suitable for all children, including premature infants and children who are immunocompromised or critically ill .
In some cases, probiotics may also cause or worsen digestive issues such as bloating and gas .
Can I Give My 1 Month Old Probiotics
Yes, you can give your 1 month old probiotics. Probiotics are live microorganisms that are similar to the good bacteria that are naturally found in the gut. They can help populate the gut with good bacteria and improve gastrointestinal health.
There is some evidence to suggest that taking probiotics may help reduce the risk of certain infections, diarrhea, and colic in infants. Probiotics may also help improve immune function. However, more research is needed to confirm these potential benefits.
Probiotics are generally considered safe for infants. However, its always best to speak with a pediatrician before giving any supplement to an infant. If your baby has a compromised immune system or is taking antibiotics ou should speak with a doctor before giving them probiotics.
Also Check: What Probiotics Are Good For Weight Loss
Why Give Your Baby A Probiotic Supplement
Babies in the womb have a sterile gut until they are born. Then, bacteria are naturally introduced to a babys gut through vaginal birth, the breastmilk or formula they drink, and the foods they eat. These good bacteria are an important part of digesting foods, extracting nutrients, and helping the body function well.
Illnesses, unhealthy foods, and medications like antibiotics may affect the healthy development of a babys gut.
Probiotics are a seamless and effective way to support the development of your babys gut flora. They become particularly useful if your baby was born by cesarean, had antibiotics, or if you are not breastfeeding. These factors may disrupt the diversity of bacteria in your babys gut, which can negatively impact their long-term health.
Clinical evidence suggests probiotics may help:
- Increase healthy gut bacteria, especially after taking antibiotics
- Reduce the risk of diarrhea associated with taking antibiotics
- Reduce symptoms of baby colic
- Reduce reflux and constipation
- Decrease symptoms associated with eczema
Most studies show that the health benefits of taking probiotics only last as long as youre actively taking them.
Are There Probiotics For Colic
There is just one recommended probiotic strain called Lactobacillus Reuteri, which has evidence in relation to helping babies and young children suffering from colic . This probiotic is found in the supplement:
Research has shown that this probiotic may increase the effectiveness of colic treatments, decrease colic symptoms, reduce daily crying and unsettled times . The evidence is strongest for breastfed babies and there needs to be more research for formula-fed babies.
There is not strong enough evidence that probiotics can prevent colic before it starts.
Development Of The Gut Microbiome
Babies begin to develop their unique intestinal bacterial profile, known as the gut microbiome, even before birth as they are exposed to bacteria in the womb. During the birth process, the gut becomes further colonized with bacteria from the mother.
A 2019 study found that 63% of infants’ gut bacteria matched their mother’s bacterial profile, demonstrating that maternal health directly affects babies’ health from birth.
Other factors that influence strains of gut bacteria in early life include exposure to antibiotics, premature birth, genetics, and nutrition. Breast milk naturally contains probiotics, and while many infant formulas have probiotics added to them, the research is unclear on whether they provide the same benefits for gut health.
What Infant Gas Drops Are Safe And Effective
Infant gas drops contain simethicone, which breaks up gas bubbles and is also the main ingredient in common anti-gas medications for adults. Research as to how effective they are is mixed. Still, simethicone gas drops for babies are very safe, and some parents find theyre very effective.
Want to try infant gas drops to help your gassy baby? First, talk to your pediatrician about what kind to look for and how often to give them. And follow the dosing instructions on the bottle. Most will say you can give your baby drops up to 12 times per day, or at each feeding. Some parents find its helpful to give babies gas drops right before each feed to pre-empt gas problems, but check with your doctor to be sure.
Read the label and be sure to avoid drops with sodium benzoate or benzoic acid, which can be harmful to babies in large quantities.
And if a friend or relative brings a gas treatment from another country or one that isnât approved by the Food and Drug Administration , donât give it to your baby unless you get approval from your pediatrician. It could contain alcohol, sugar or other potentially harmful ingredients that arenât clearly listed on the packaging.
You May Like: Simple Nature Gut Restore Ultimate Probiotic
Recommended Reading: How Much Probiotics A Day
Is It Ok To Give Baby Probiotics Every Day
Giving your baby probiotics every day may seem like a good way to boost their health, but you may be wondering if its safe. Yes! it is safe to boost their immune system. They have many health benefits, including aiding digestion and boosting immunity. Some people take them in supplement form, while others get them from food sources, such as yogurt.
Your Guide To: Probiotics For Children
Tags: Pre & Probiotics
As a parent, you want to give your baby the best start in life. You are conscious of your babys health and development and want to ensure they grow up happy and healthy. There is a lot of talk today about a healthy gut being the foundation for a healthy child and how probiotics can build up your babys gut health.
If you didnt know, probiotics are defined as Live microorganisms which, when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host. In plain language, probiotics are good microbes that are meant to help the person taking them. These friendly microbes help us digest food, maintain health and fight disease. Many Canadians are hearing about how great probiotics are, and are looking to supplement their diet with them.
Not every child will need to be given probiotic. Early life exposures to microbes in the world we live in, playing outside, having a pet, eating variety of food are all factors supporting good gut microbes and in turn good health.
For probiotics in children and young adults, clinical evidence supports the use of probiotics as an intervention for:
The handy acronym table makes it easy for you to find the product that has clinical evidence for your specific condition:
- Evidence obtained from at least one properly designed randomize trial
Read Also: Natures Plus Gi Natural Probiotic Mega
Best Of The Best Probiotics For Babies
Mommy’s Bliss Baby Probiotic Drops: available at and Buy Buy Baby
Our take: Free from artificial colors and flavors, these probiotics for babies come with a convenient dropper so you can easily feed them to your baby or mix the drops in your baby’s bottle.
What we like: Designed to encourage everyday digestive health, these probiotic drops are non-GMO verified and flavorless. These drops are vegan and can easily be dropped directly into your baby’s mouth or mixed into a bottle or baby cereal.
What we dislike: Some users state that they don’t feel these drops helped their babies at all.
Best Probiotics For Babies Faqs
Parents are always looking for the best probiotics for their babies, but it can be hard to know which ones are right for them.
It’s hard enough picking out the best probiotic supplement for yourself, let alone trying to figure out what’s best for your baby.
Our FAQ page is here to help. We answer all of the most commonly asked questions about probiotics for babies, including dosage, side effects, and when to start taking them. Plus, we have a list of our top 5 recommended probiotic supplements for babies.
Also Check: Nutrisystem Nutricrush Protein And Probiotics
Probiotics For Babies With Gas
The precise motive why some infants develop colic and reflux stays comparatively unknown, nonetheless, rising proof means that intestine micro organism might play a job. Babies with colic might have decrease ranges of helpful micro organism and better ranges of irritation and these mixed may cause digestive points, together with colic and reflux1.
Having plenty of the precise micro organism in your childs intestine is essential on many ranges. The prenatal setting, supply technique and genetics can all form the infants intestine, additionally it is instructed that probiotics play a key consider bodily, cognitive, social and emotional development2.
Analysis for child probiotics means that sure strains of helpful micro organism notably Bifidobacterium, have been proven to scale back the signs usually related to colic3.
Please be reassured that as a mother or father youve got completed nothing unsuitable and you havent brought about the colic its a quite common criticism in infants.
Minimum Age Limit: Are Probiotic Drops Safe For Newborns
There isnt a specific minimum age limit for using probiotics because theyre actually an essential part of your babys gut microbiome. Theyre naturally found abundantly in breast milk.
However, its best to ask your healthcare provider whether your baby needs probiotics and their recommendations on which ones to use, especially if your baby was born prematurely or has metabolic, digestive, or immune conditions.
Don’t Miss: Do Probiotics Help With Skin Problems
Natural Ways To Support Your Newborns Gastrointestinal Health
In addition to giving your infant a probiotic supplement, there are also other useful ways in which you can support the babys healthy gut flora:
- Breastfeed as long as possible breastfeeding is the easiest, most natural, and most effective method to make sure your baby has a healthy gut flora. It is the very first type of probiotic that your newborn comes in contact with and which will help him or her to develop the gut lining
- Dont give your infant antibiotics these drugs are known for their negative impact on the bodys good gut bacteria. It is true that in certain situations, antibiotics play a life-saving role, but they can also kill gut flora which, in the long-term, causes a lot of harm
- Avoid feeding your baby processed or sugary foods excess sugar causes fermentation in the gut which further leads to the formation of bad bacteria
- Expose your baby to fresh air take your baby outdoors more often in order to allow his or her organism to create a stronger and more resilient immune system. Let your kids play outside because this will strengthen their gastrointestinal system
Which Medications Can You Safely Give Your Newborn For Gas
Over-the-counter gas drops given to a baby for gases contain simethicone, a medicine designed to relieve excess gas in the stomach and intestines. Simethicone is generally a safe medication for most babies.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved it in 1952. Simethicone may cause loose stools in some babies. A typical dose for simethicone is 20 milligrams, up to 4 times a day. The FDA advises against using gripe water for treating colic or flatulence in babies.
Also Check: Best Probiotic For Lower Intestines
If Your Baby Has Colic
Colic is defined as three or more hours of crying per day on three or more days of the week for a period of three weeks in an otherwise healthy, well-fed infant, says Kaufmann, adding that some research has found that probiotics may decrease crying duration in colicky babies.
If youre looking to prevent colic in the first place, she adds, theres no reason to give your baby a probiotic supplementthere is currently no evidence to support probiotic use as a helpful tool.
Replace: Keyword Buying Guide: What To Look For Before Buying
It can be hard to know where to start when youre in the market for a new probiotics for bloating and gas. There are many options out there, and each has pros and cons. Luckily, weve done the research for you and compiled all the information you need to make a smart choice about what to buy. Our buying guide is here to help you find the right product for your needs.
Before you buy probiotics for bloating and gas, make sure that you look at these factors:
- Search for the best quality product: Quality is the most important thing to consider when buying probiotics for bloating and gas. If you want your product to last long and give value for your money, then look for a high-quality product.
- Buy the best durable product to save money: How long does it take for your probiotics for bloating and gas to break down or stop working? It is worth the investment if you have an item that lasts longer than expected.
- Always buy from renowned brands to get the best one: Established brands are more reliable than new ones since they have proven their strength and quality over time. Some brands also have a reputation for providing excellent customer service.
- Observe user feedback on various sources: Review sites like Amazon can provide you with information about other peoples experiences with products.
Take a look at these factors before buying probiotics for bloating and gas:
Recommended Reading: Best Probiotic For Men And Women