Question #: How Many Different Strains Of Bacteria Are Included
Your gut microbiome can consist of 1000 different species of bacteria. So, when you pick a probiotic, it makes sense to opt for one that has a variety of strains. Your gut microbiome works as a team, with the different strains of bacteria having different talents. You should try to replicate this as far as possible with the probiotic that you choose.
Research which strains would be the most advantageous to you personally and then select the probiotic that has the greatest proportion of these different species. The different strains will act in harmony to heal you.
Look for a probiotic that has at least 5 strains of bacteria, and preferably many more.
Probiotic Combination Therapies For Yeast Infections
While taking probiotics in lieu of antifungal medication is not yet supported by science, some other research suggests that women with vaginal yeast infections may benefit from probiotic combination therapies.
For instance, a prospective study published in July 2012 in the journal Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics found that a mixture of bee honey and yogurt applied to the vagina may help cure yeast infections in pregnant women.
Similarly, a study published in November 2015 in the Global Journal of Health Science found that a vaginal cream of honey and yogurt was comparable in efficacy with clotrimazole vaginal cream for yeast infections.
Additionally, a clinical trial found that a certain probiotic capsule, when combined with conventional antifungal medication, can help provide a long-term cure against recurrent yeast infections.
Still, more research is needed to fully reveal the benefits of these alternative therapies.
Best Probiotic For Yeast Infection In Reviews
- BALANCES YEAST & BACTERIA. Lactobacilli shield the vagina by producing lactic acid, which lowers the pH, making it slightly acidic and inhospitable to pathogens.
- FORMULATED WITH PACRAN. Pacran is a clinically studied cranberry fruit extract proven to promote urinary tract health naturally.
- ALLERGEN FRIENDLY, VEGAN PROBIOTICS. We take everyone into account which is why our probiotics are free of the 8 major allergens.
- NON-GMO WITH NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS OR FLAVORS. Choose a probiotic with natural ingredients! Our probiotics are free of GMOs, fillers, artificial colors, flavors or ingredients.
- Made in the USA with US and worldwide ingredients.
- Clinically tested probiotic.Does Not Contain Any of the 8 Major Allergens
- #1 Trusted Brand
You May Like: Garden Of Life Women’s Probiotic Side Effects
Probiotics For Candida Yeast Infection
Finally, were getting somewhere, right? Were finally going to talk about probiotics? Not quite. Again, many people crave a magic pill for their problems. Whether its weight loss, mood enhancement, energy.
Without doubt, probiotics for candida are a magic pill. But without understanding what gives rise to candida yeast overgrowth in the first place is a mistake. Dont know whats causing your candida? Then youre doomed to get repeat outbreaks and symptoms.
And the number one thing that produces candida overgrowth is sugar. Yeast feeds on sugar. The Standard American Diet includes nearly 20 grams of sugar per day !
Twenty grams of sugar per day equals 800 calories from sugar alone. Furthermore, that doesnt include carbohydrates that quickly convert into sugar. A piece of bread, even whole wheat, is an example of a quick-burning carb.
Without further ado, heres the reason to take probiotics for candida.
Probiotics, which are microscopic good bacteria, help break down sugar.
In addition, probiotics introduce good bacteria into the gut. The more good bacteria the healthier your immune system will be. Thats because most of your immune system cells reside in your gut.
Probiotics also communicate with your cells to carry out several important functions. Regulating hormones is but just one example. However, if you have candida, your bacteria cant communicate effectively with your cells.
Read Also: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Diarrhea
Candida And Probiotics: Inhibiting Candida Overgrowth
A main way in which Candida is kept in check is by our beneficial gut bacteria. As long as we have enough diversity and number of good bacteria in our gut, Candida Albicans doesnt have much room to grow.
The trouble starts if our good bacteria are diminished and their natural balance is interrupted. This can be due to external factors such as an overly processed diet, chemicals and food additives, medications such as antibiotics, as well as stress. A high-quality probiotic supplement can help restore the healthy balance of gut bacteria.
In addition, specific probiotic strains have the ability to fight Candida Albicans by producing lactic acid and other antifungal compounds. The lactobacilli strain, for example, produces lactic acid, which lowers the pH in the large intestine, and makes the environment less enjoyable for Candida.
Candida often originates in the gut, even if the Candida infection occurs on the skin, in the mouth or in the vagina. At OMNi-BiOTiC, weve researched the role of probiotics in Candida for many years. Based on this knowledge, Omni-Biotic Balance was developed. Omni-Biotic Balance contains specific strains of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria that restore a healthy balance of the most important probiotic bacteria in your gut, while also making the environment less inviting for Candida to settle and replicate.
Read Also: Probiotic Pearls Women’s Cvs
Best Probiotic For Vaginal Yeast Infections
Gastro Armor by Sovereign Laboratories Contains the research-backed Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, and lactoferrin from its bovine colostrum. It is also enteric-coated. While this doesnt contain the highest concentration of probiotics at 5 billion per serving, this is the only probiotic on the market that contains lactoferrin from colostrum and the clinically verified spore-based probiotic called Lactospore®.
Because this product contains spore-based probiotics called Bacillus coagulans, a lower concentration can be used for and still achieve the best benefits for candida.
That is why it is the best probiotic for yeast overgrowth.
Another great feature of this product is that it contains Hidrox®, which is an antioxidant derived from pressed olives. This antioxidant may help provide neuroprotection.
Of note, this product does not contain prebiotics, which is important for people who are sensitive to prebiotics.
Another perk is that Gastro Armor product has a 45-day money-back guarantee return policy too. Other ingredients include gelatin and silicon dioxide.
Oral Probiotics Vs Probiotic Suppository For Yeast Infection
|Symptoms & Concerns|
Using probiotics for feminine health has been commonly suggested as a way to prevent or treat vaginal yeast infection. Oral probiotics are usually preferred over probiotic suppository or other methods involving inserting probiotics for yeast infection into the vagina.
There are a few reasons why oral probiotics for yeast infection are considered a better choice over inserting probiotics for yeast infection.
The majority of the vaginal yeast infections are caused by a systemic yeast infection problem in the body. In other words, the vaginal infection is only one symptom of a larger problem of candida yeast overgrowth in the body. Inserting probiotic suppository or probiotic pill in vagina may help the yeast infection in the vagina, but it wont help to balance the infection in other areas in the body. Oral probiotics however, will.
Another reason to prefer oral probiotics for yeast infection is that most published studies used oral probiotics. There is some research data suggesting that intravaginal may be beneficial as well though. A study that had women take vaginal lactobacillus plantarum capsule together with antifungals, showed that using lactobacillus plantarum probiotic increased the Lactobacillus values in the vagina, and improved symptoms of vaginal discomfort such as burning and itching .
Don’t Miss: Garden Of Life Prebiotics And Probiotics
Yogurt And Other Natural Options
Some natural options may provide relief from a yeast infection, but medical experts agree there isnt sufficient evidence to prove if theyre effective treatment options. At this point, home remedies may be best for preventing new or recurring yeast infections:
- Practice good hygiene: Change out of sweaty or wet clothing or bathing suits as soon as possible.
- Wear cotton underwear: Cotton is breathable and absorbs moisture, which can help keep your vagina dry.
- Dont put foods into your vagina: Using apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, yogurt, avocado oil, or any other food in your vagina will likely cause more harm.
- Avoid scented products: Scented tampons, pads, bubble baths, and laundry detergents can disrupt the balance of bacteria in the vagina.
- Do not douche: The vagina is self-cleaning, so you never need to douche. Doing so can lead to a yeast infection or other vaginal infections.
Dont Miss: Signs My Cat Has Urinary Tract Infection
The Best Probiotic Strains For Candida
Most of the trials looking at probiotics for Candida look at how different strains and multistrain supplements affect oral thrush. There are also several trials examining the use of probiotics for vaginal yeast infections. And, a handful of human trials and trials using animal models to assess the effects of various probiotic species on systemic and recurrent Candidiasis. From the information we have currently, the major strains and species of probiotics shown to affect Candida include:
This list is by no means exhaustive. Your best bet when choosing probiotics for Candida is to choose a multispecies and multistrain product that contains a dozen or so shelf-stable and gastric acid resistant strains. If the formula includes several of the specific strains from the list above, chances are it will have at least some benefits against yeast infection. Multidophilus by SolarRay is a high quality option to take a look at.
You May Like: Dr Mercola Complete Probiotics 90 Capsules
Effective Ways To Treat A Yeast Infection
Right off the bat, Dr. Goebel spots a problem with treating yeastinfections at home. The biggest issue is that self-diagnosis of yeastinfections is not very accurate, especially if you havent had one before, shesays.
Bacterial infections, allergic reactions and some skin conditions can cause similar symptoms, so its important to have a doctor confirm your diagnosis.
What if youve had yeast infections before, and theres nodoubt what youre dealing with? Dr. Goebel says your best bet is actual yeastinfection medication:
- Fluconazole is a prescription pill thatcan treat most yeast infections with a single dose, though it might take a fewdays for symptoms to clear up.
- Miconazole is an over-the-counter topicalcream. It comes in a variety of formulations, including one-day, three-day andseven-day options. The cream can be a little messy, but it can also bringfaster itch relief than oral fluconazole does, she says.
Best Probiotic For Candida Overview
Not surprisingly, there are many types of probiotic bacteria that can help fight against candida strains. Here are some highlights of these strains and what they do to fight candida overgrowth.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus given with lactobacillus rhamnosus and lactoferrin helps to greatly reduce yeast infection recurrence.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus + lactoferrin: this combination of probiotics with lactobacillus acidophilus and lactoferrin dramatically reduced recurrence of vaginal yeast infections after 6 months of treatment compared to placebo.
- Lactobacillus paracasei reduces Candida growth as much as fluconazole and has immune-enhancing effects and postbiotic effects.
- Bifidobacterium lactis: good for reducing oral candida growth and gastrointestinal candida in early research.
- Bacillus subtilis preliminary research shows a reduction in oral yeast or thrush growth, reduces yeast biofilms, and makes postbiotics that reduce candida growth.
- Multi-strain probiotics reduce the growth of oral candida in denture wearers.
- Saccharomyces boulardii is also known as a beneficial yeast. This probiotic reduces the growth of candida, reduces the biofilm of candida, and prevents candida from entering the bloodstream.
Don’t Miss: Dr Ohhira Probiotics Original Vs Professional
Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection
Although your vaginal pH level will not directly conclude if you have a yeast infection, other symptoms can. These symptoms include:
- Itching, burning or swelling near the affected area
- Thick vaginal discharge that is grey, green, yellow, or white in color
- A burning sensation during urination
- Pain during intercourse
- Appearance of a vulvar rash
- Fissures in the wall of the vagina
Also Check: Can Lettuce Cause Diarrhea
Renewlife Health & Wellness Ultimate Flora Probiotic
Image courtesy RenewLife
Renew Life is here to help you feel lighter, brighter and more energized. Our #1 selling women’s probiotic contains 10 specially selected strains designed for digestive support as well as immune health. Additionally, they use a potent Lactobacilli formula so that your vaginal environment can be optimal as well!
You May Like: Dr Mercola Probiotics 90 Capsules
Best Probiotic For Immune Health: Align Daily Immune Support
Bifidobacterium is a type of probiotic well known for its antibacterial abilities and vaginal health help, says Kristin Gustashaw, RDN, an instructor of clinical nutrition at Rush University in Chicago. Like Lactobacillus, it helps boost your immune system. It also improves the absorption of iron, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. Align is a good supplement that contains Bifidobacterium. As an added bonus, it may even enhance your mood: Bifidobacterium makes the list of the best supplements for depression.
Best Probiotic For Vaginal Health: Garden Of Life Dr Formulated Probiotics
It is quite difficult to choose a solid top pick for probiotics because different strains have been shown to help different clinical issues, says Rachel Fine, RD, a dietitian in New York City. However, this supplement is a great option, with 50 billion strains, that support vaginal, digestive, and immune system health, she says. It is best to choose a product that is well within its expiration date to ensure a higher number of viable cells. Learn more ways to make vitamins and supplements more effective.
Don’t Miss: Why Are Probiotics Good For Us
What Causes Candida Overgrowth
Some common culprits that often precede Candida overgrowth include:
- Antibiotic use
- Infection and diarrhea or vomiting
- Immunosenescence connected to older age
- Reduced saliva production, typically seen in older adults.5
- Immune suppression due to HIV or AIDS
- Some cancer treatments.
Antibiotic overuse is the leading cause of Candidiasis, meaning that we, as individuals and as a society, would be wise to restrict antibiotic use to when absolutely necessary. Clearly this message isnt getting through to animal agriculture, which accounts for 80% of all antibiotic use in the U.S. 6
Hormonal disruption can also create the conditions for Candidiasis, with a yeast infection more likely to arise in pregnancy, when taking oral contraceptives, and if you have diabetes.
A Note About Probiotic Cost
Cost may be on your mind when you buy anything, but keep in mind, you do get what you pay for when it comes to probiotics. A quality product is going to often cost more than a lower quality brand. Typically, the price of the more concentrated brands that have the strains you want are going to be an investment. A nice value-added to many brands is free shipping.
Video Answer: Homemade Dog Food For Yeast Infections
Yeast infections in dogs are fungal infections that can affect the urinary tract, mouth, or skin, especially the skin on the ears, paws, armpits, and around skin folds or wrinkles.
If you see the signs of a yeast infection in your dog, consult your veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Usually yeast infections occur in the urinary tract, in the mouth, or on the skin.
With all of these infections, signs of pain or discomfort are common.
Here are a few signs that your dog may be suffering from a yeast infection of the urinary tract.
Here are some signs of a yeast infection in a dog’s mouth.
How To Use Probiotics To Beat The Yeast
Women who use probiotics to treat vaginal yeast infections either turn to probiotic-rich yogurt, probiotic capsules, or vaginal suppositories.
If youre using a supplement or OTC probiotic medication, follow the package instructions. Packaged probiotics may be intended for oral or vaginal use, so make sure you read those directions!
As for treating a yeast infection with yogurt, here are some of the options:
- Just eat it. The theory is that consuming probiotic yogurt will rebalance your microbiome. Cant hurt to try it, within moderation.
- Apply plain yogurt externally to soothe itching and burning. Its crucial that you choose a plain yogurt with no added sugar or flavorings. Sugar could really kick that yeast into high gear, and other ingredients may be irritating.
- Fill an empty tampon applicator with plain yogurt and insert vaginally. You can also freeze it before inserting it, for extra cooling relief. Note: Accounts of this are purely anecdotal and generally not recommended by healthcare providers.
The yogurt and honey study mentioned above measured improvement in symptoms at 1 and 2 weeks when the mixture was applied externally. Probiotic supplements can take 1 to 4 weeks if taken orally.
Because yogurt and probiotics are relatively safe, you can try both without much worry.
- a weakened immune system
- ulcerative colitis
- damaged heart valves
A general word of caution: supplements like probiotics are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration for content and quality.
Read Also: Best Probiotic For Men And Women
Probiotics For Dogs & Cats Best Powder To Relieve Diarrhea Yeast Infections Itching Skin Allergies & Bad Breath Boosts Immunity Added Digestive Enzymes Improve Digestion Made In Usa 160 Scoops
- HELPS YOUR PETâS GUT TO WORK AS IT SHOULD: Probiotic powder for Allergy Relief, Hot Spot Treatment, Diarrhea, Yeast Infections, Itching, Gas, Bad Breath, Scratching, Bloating and Constipation
- IMPROVES HEALTH and HAPPINESS: Extracts more energy and nutrients from your petâs food. Optimizes digestive health.
- BOOSTS IMMUNITY: Probiotics help protect your pet against germs and disease. Restores gut health following antibiotic use
- DOGS and CATS LOVE IT: Powder mixes easily with food. Contains no additives or preservatives.
- LIFE-CHANGING ADVANCED FORMULA FOR ALL AGES and SIZES. Made with the best quality ingredients in the USA in a GMP inspected facility.