What Is Canine Yeast Infection
Canine yeast infections are produced by colonizing fungal microorganisms that emerge from an imbalance of good bacteria and bad bacteria. In dogs, yeast skin infections begin when the Malassezia pachydermatis fungus outnumbers beneficial bacteria and produce symptoms of otitis , seborrheic dermatitis , or both. Yeast pathogens thrive in moist, warm, dark conditions such as those found in the ears, armpits and between the toes. If an affected dog does not receive effective medication like probiotics for dogs yeast infection, sites will enlarge, spread and infect other parts of the dogs body quite rapidly.
Canine yeast infections commonly target the dogs ears, between their toes or under their armpits where hair is less thick and moisture remains. Dog with deep folds and wrinkles in their skin are also vulnerable to developing itchy, painful yeast infections. Unless a reliable, quick-acting treatment such as beneficial bacteria is administered, the infection will spread, become intensely irritating to the dog and causing them to scratch and chew frantically at the yeast infection.
How Do These Probiotics Help
Probiotics are packed full of healthy bacteria that not only help your GI tract, but also your vagina. Studies have shown that when taken, probiotics will improve symptoms for those who already have a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis.
Probiotics are also able to prevent a potential infection. These bacteria work to balance out the pH level of the vagina, which makes for a healthy and hospitable environment.
What Other Information Supports The Research Regarding Probiotics For Infection Control Eg Case Control Studies And Case Series
Most of the probiotics used in healthcare are strains with human origin.
Many preparations are also sold in the grocery store or otherwise on a free market. Studies from Finland compared the observed frequency of positive findings of Lactobacillus rhannosus GG in blood cultures before and after the launch of dairy products containing that strain. No difference in the incidence of infections with the strain could be demonstrated.
You May Like: Nancy’s Probiotic Cottage Cheese
Diy Yeast Infection Prevention
Some unlucky women get recurrent yeast infections, meaningthey get to deal with the symptoms four or more times a year. If thats you,the idea of sitting in an apple cider vinegar bath might not sound so wacky.
What works, and what should you avoid? Dr. Goebel shares herdos and donts for treating and preventing yeast infections.
Can Men Get Genital Thrush
Although less common, it is possible for men to get thrush. The cause of thrush in men is usually an overgrowth of the yeast-like fungus, Candida albicans. Symptoms include itching, burning, irritation and redness of the penis. Currently, there are no genital probiotics which are studied for thrush in men, however, men with thrush could consider supporting their gut health. Our article ‘Which probiotics are best for Candida?‘ can provide helpful tips and guidance on how to do this.
Also Check: Ancient Probiotics Men’s Once Daily
Best Probiotic For Yeast Infection
When it comes to the best probiotic for yeast infection, the preference is to use probiotic strains that were shown by research to be effective for candida and yeast infections and also safe with no adverse side effects.
- Bacillus laterosporus is a patented probiotic strain that has shown to be very effective on its own against candida yeast, and is best used during the initial yeast infection treatment, where the preference is to focus on a single probiotic strain that can target candida-yeast very effectively on one hand, but that also does it in a very gentle and safe way.
- Lactobacillus strains are among the most studied probiotic strains, and are best used for preventing yeast infection as well as during the middle of the yeast infection treatment. Most studies combined different types of the Lactobacillus strains together for increased effectiveness, which is considered a common best practice when using the Lactobacillus strains.
- Prebiotics are nondigestible food ingredients known to promote the growth of probiotics by serving as a food source for the probiotics. Supplementing with probiotics may help to initially populate your intestines with good bacteria prebiotics can help this new population of good bacteria to better grow in your intestines.
- Best product: FloraTrex.
Below is a quick summary of some of the key benefits of Lactobacillus for yeast infection:
Vaginal yeast infection, improve cure rate, relieve discomforts
Can Probiotics Be Harmful
- Probiotics have an extensive history of apparently safe use, particularly in healthy people. However, few studies have looked at the safety of probiotics in detail, so thereâs a lack of solid information on the frequency and severity of side effects.
- The risk of harmful effects from probiotics is greater in people with severe illnesses or compromised immune systems. When probiotics are being considered for high-risk individuals, such as premature infants or seriously ill hospital patients, the potential risks of probiotics should be carefully weighed against their benefits.
- Possible harmful effects of probiotics include infections, production of harmful substances by the probiotic microorganisms, and transfer of antibiotic resistance genes from probiotic microorganisms to other microorganisms in the digestive tract.
- Some probiotic products have been reported to contain microorganisms other than those listed on the label. In some instances, these contaminants may pose serious health risks.
Recommended Reading: Is Culturelle Probiotic Good For Constipation
When To See A Doctor
Some symptoms indicate that you should no longer rely on probiotics to prevent or treat yeast infections. For more mild yeast infections, this includes symptoms that last for more than 10 days, a worsening of symptoms, a high fever, or recurring infections.
For yeast infections that start more aggressively or that may be accompanied by pain and intense discomfort, additional treatment options should be considered if there has been no sign of improvement within three days.
What To Expect After Trying These Home Remedies
Most home remedies bring relief within a few days. Some may take up to a week.
If your infection goes away with treatment but then returns, contact a doctor for advice. You may need a prescription-strength treatment.
Follow these tips to help prevent future yeast infections.
- Limit the amount of sugar and processed foods you consume. Yeast thrives on sugar.
- Wear loose-fitting, cotton underwear.
- Dont spend extended periods of time in wet clothes or bathing suits. Yeast grows in warm, moist environments.
- Only use antibiotics when necessary.
- Dont use douches unless advised by a doctor, and avoid vaginal deodorant sprays and scented vaginal lotions. They may alter the balance of good bacteria and yeast in your vagina.
You May Like: Best Place To Get Probiotics
Probiotic Combination Therapies For Yeast Infections
While taking probiotics in lieu of antifungal medication is not yet supported by science, some other research suggests that women with vaginal yeast infections may benefit from probiotic combination therapies.
For instance, a prospective study published in July 2012 in the journal Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics found that a mixture of bee honey and yogurt applied to the vagina may help cure yeast infections in pregnant women.
Similarly, a study published in November 2015 in the Global Journal of Health Science found that a vaginal cream of honey and yogurt was comparable in efficacy with clotrimazole vaginal cream for yeast infections.
Additionally, a clinical trial found that a certain probiotic capsule, when combined with conventional antifungal medication, can help provide a long-term cure against recurrent yeast infections.
Still, more research is needed to fully reveal the benefits of these alternative therapies.
What Are The Uses Of Vaginal Probiotics
People may use vaginal probiotics to address two main issues: bacterial vaginosis and yeast infection.
BV is the most common imbalance problem. In the vaginal canals of women with BV, there are many different species of bacteria. In comparison, there are fewer species of bacteria in the vaginal area of healthy women.
The pH of the vagina rises above four and a half because of the increased bacteria. This lowers the number of Lactobacillus in the vaginal area. Women with BV frequently suffer the following symptoms in addition to an elevated vaginal pH:
- Burning sensation while urinating
Read Also: Will Probiotics Help With Bladder Infection
Conditions Related To Allergy
- A review of 23 studies in which probiotics were tested for treating allergic rhinitis found some evidence that they may be helpful for improving symptoms and quality of life. However, because the studies tested different probiotics and measured different effects, no recommendations about the use of probiotics could be made. Few side effects of probiotics were reported in these studies.
- A review of 11 studies of probiotics for asthma in children had inconclusive results.
- Atopic dermatitis is an itchy chronic skin disorder thatâs associated with allergies but not caused by them. Itâs most common in infants and may start as early as age 2 to 6 months. Many people outgrow it by early adulthood. Atopic dermatitis is one of several types of eczema.
- A 2017 review of 13 studies of probiotics for the treatment of atopic dermatitis in infants and children did not find consistent evidence of a beneficial effect. A review of 9 studies in adults provided preliminary evidence that some strains of probiotics might be beneficial for symptoms of atopic dermatitis.
Prevention of Allergies
What Conclusions Of Clinical Trials Or Meta
It is safe to use probiotics for most people in sickness and in health.
In some applications there is support for positive effects of the use of probiotics, but on several indications or applications there are conflicting results.
Many studies show positive results but, due to small study sizes, statistical significance is lacking.
There is a tendency to judge all probiotics as being a single entity when reviews and meta-analyses are performed. Results from different protocols with different species, strains and mixtures of those are being pooled and results validated as it was a single microorganism.
Many studies have shown positive results for the group or groups of patients that has been given active treatment. In other studies results have been inconclusive.
Although studies where probiotic treatment groups have done worse than the controls do exist, it must be considered safe to use probiotics for most people in sickness and in health.
Recommended Reading: Probiotics For 10 Month Old
What Are The Causes Of Thrush
Thrush is typically caused by a pathogenic yeast known as Candida. Candida spp. lives naturally in the body – within the intestines, mouth, skin and vagina. In low numbers, they are usually considered harmless. The most common species of Candida that can cause thrush is Candida albicans. Find out more about Candida albicans.
Candida albicans may increase in number when there is an imbalance, known as dysbiosis, in the microbiome. The human microbiome is the name given to the microbes that live on or within the human body including bacteria and yeasts. Collectively, they form an ecosystem. There is usually a delicate balance between the beneficial microbes and pathogenic microbes in our microbiome. Symptoms of thrush may develop when there is an overgrowth of C. albicans in the mouth or genital area. This overgrowth is believed to occur as a result of a disruption to our microbiome, leading to dysbiosis. This disruption may occur due to factors such as:
- Medication use – antibiotics, oral contraceptive pill3 or hormonal replacement therapy4, corticosteroids5
- Fluctuations in hormone levels such as during pregnancy3. Disruption of the natural pH balance of the vagina caused by local factors such as use of scented intimate products and soaps
- Underlying medical conditions such as diabetes mellitus6
- Dietary habits excessive alcohol consumption, high sugar/low fibre diets
- Sexual activity7
Best Probiotic For Thrush Treatment
When it comes to the best probiotic for thrush treatment, the choice depends on whether the goal is to treat or prevent thrush. Brevibacillus laterosporus is usually preferred for the thrush treatment due to its strong anti-candida properties. A mixture of Lactobacillus probiotic strains has been suggested by research as effective probiotics to prevent thrush. Combining oral probiotics such as FloraTrex together with coconut oil pulling has shown to be an effective and safe natural way that can help to prevent thrush and also promote oral health.
|Symptoms & Concerns|
For more info: home remedies for oral thrush.
Probiotics mouthwash & mouth rinse
Probiotics mouthwash and mouth rinse were suggested by research as effective for oral hygiene regimen . One study found that short term probiotic mouth rinse was effective in reducing plaque accumulation and gingival inflammation .
Are probiotics mouthwash and mouth rinse also effective for thrush? According to research, perhaps in the future. The main challenge is finding probiotic strains that can survive the oral environmental conditions and stay there long enough to bring effect . For this reason, the best probiotic for thrush treatment are oral probiotics that are used as a part of the candida and yeast infection treatment as shown in the above table.
Read Also: List Of Probiotics For Poultry
Lactoferrin Treatment In Women With Bacterial And Yeast Vaginal Diseases
Even if the use of prebiotics for the treatment of vaginal infections has been investigated less than probiotics, the data available in the literature have highlighted prebiotic therapeutic potential. As far as lactoferrin is concerned , it has been reported that its oral and vaginal administration in women refractory to conventional treatment for vaginosis and with a history of late miscarriages and preterm delivery due to refractory vaginitis and chorioamnionitis resulted in a significant improvement of the vaginal bacterial flora.
Rephresh Pro B Probiotic For Women
RepHresh Pro-B is a probiotic for women with 2 patented strains clinically verified to maintain a healthy vaginal flora.
This probiotic for women contains in its formula Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1® and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14, two strains generally studied together to analyze the beneficial effect that both strains have on womens intimate health.
The Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1® strain has studies that demonstrate its ability to improve the balance of a womans vaginal microbiota. It is a strain that helps protect the female urogenital area from infections such as bacterial vaginosis and other urinary tract infections such as cystitis. Its mechanism of action is based on the adherence of these good microorganisms to the vaginal mucosa, displacing possible pathogenic microorganisms
In addition, as a lactobacillus, it produces lactic acid, reducing the vaginal pH to get a womens ph balance and thus preventing colonization by pathogenic bacteria capable of producing an infection, since these microorganisms prefer a more alkaline environment with a higher pH.
For its part, Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14® has studies that demonstrate its beneficial activity against Candida albicans, responsible for the infection known as candidiasis, yeast infection or thrush
Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14® also acts against bacterial vaginosis, a condition with a whitish exudate and a characteristic fishy odor. There is usually also an itching and burning sensation.
Recommended Reading: D Mannose Cranberry With Probiotics
Culturelle Womens Healthy Balance Probiotic For Women
Probiotic for women with a formula based on species of microorganisms of the genus Lactobacillus which are the majority of the vaginal microbiota.
It has a total of 15 billion microorganisms from the strains Lactobacillus crispatus LBV 88, Lactobacillus rhamnosus LBV 96, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, Lactobacillus gasseri LBV 150N, Lactobacillus jensenii LBV 116.
These strains are common in the microbiota or vaginal flora and have demonstrated their effectiveness in recovering and maintaining its balance as well as in the treatment of different types of bacterial vaginosis with a decrease in the Nugent index.
The presence of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG in its formula stands out. It is a well known species and one of the most studied, with about 1000 studies conducted on it and about 200 clinical trials. It has beneficial properties for the intestinal microbiota, favoring its protection and creating a hostile environment for pathogenic microorganisms. Also, this species Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG® stimulates the immune system.
Culturelle is a brand belonging to i-Health, Inc, a global consumer health and wellness American company.
Plan For Male Yeast Infections: Stage 3 The Soothing Treatment
This final stage helps to soothe any irritation by calming your itching and burning skin. Youll need about 30 minutes for this stage.
Main Benefit: Yogurt can give significant relief to an inflamed penis, scrotum or inner thigh region, especially from any heat or burning sensations of mens yeast infections. Yogurt is cooling and helps soothe any irritation and calms itching and burning skin in and around the penis and scrotum.
What You Need: A small carton of plain, unheated low-fat yogurt free from additives, colors, fruits or sugars and a small bowl to place the yogurt in.
The Method: Spread a thin layer of soothing cool yogurt over affected areas of skin around the penis, scrotum and thighs. Men only need to leave the yogurt on the affected areas for 30 minutes, whereas women who apply yogurt internally are best to leave it there for a few hours.
Probiotics for Male Yeast Infections
to read stage 2 of the treatment protocol.
About Eric Bakker N.D.
Eric Bakker ND has completed almost ten years of study and has almost almost 25 years of clinical experience in natural and integrative forms of medicine, and has pursued continuous post-graduate study in Australia, America, India as well as in New Zealand.
Eric is the past Vice President of the NZ Natural Medicine Association and is currently on their editorial advisory board.
Also Check: Probiotics Help With Bowel Movements