Possible Side Effects And Risks
Overdosing on zinc supplements can lead to gastrointestinal effects very much like those from too much dietary zinc. Too much zinc could also put you at risk for neurological effects such as weakness and numbness in your extremities.
Talk to your doctor before adding zinc supplements to your routine. Zinc supplements can interact with some prescription medications, including antibiotics and those used for autoimmune diseases.
Why Should I Buy A Probiotic Vitamin For Skin Acne
You can tell if you need or want a probiotic vitamin for skin acne by looking at your existing inventory. You probably dont need it and should reconsider buying it. If you cant get go of the old one, you could sell it and use the proceeds to buy the new one.This is a fun and easy approach to finish your task.
Lets face it, we all want to feel good about our purchases. But there are so many! How can you know which is best? You need not be concerned because Aids Quilt has your back. Our trained staff is here to help you find what works for you. Before making a final decision, you can take advantage of our free consultations.
How Much Zinc Ascorbate Should You Take
There usual recommended dosage for zinc ascorbate is 1 capsule per day. Most preparations have 85 mg of Vitamin C and 15 mg of Zinc for every capsule.
Make sure to read the label so that you adhere to the recommended dietary allowance for both nutrients. For zinc, it’s 8 mg for women and 11 mg for men. As for Vitamin C, the RDA is 75 mg for women and 90 mg for men.
Also Check: Is Hum Flatter Me A Probiotic
Just How Effective Is Zinc For Acne
“Zinc is a high-performance ingredient that helps to address redness, irritation, and inflammation caused by conditions like acne, rosacea, and seborrheic dermatitis,” says Patel. “The ingredient, in combination with mild alpha and beta acids, helps decrease inflammation, exfoliate the skin that clogs the pores, and helps kill the bacteria/fungus that causes acne.”
The actual absence of the mineral may be the cause of breakouts. Patel explains, “Zinc is necessary for collagen synthesis, and when deficient, the keratin in the skin can be more ‘sticky,’ resulting in more clogged pores. A lot of people with acne may find supplementation helpful to decrease acne breakouts.” Proceed with caution, though: Ingesting too much zinc can cause side effects like nausea, diarrhea, and ironically, a weakened immune response. Always check with your doctor before taking a zinc supplement for acne and before altering your routine.
Love Wellness Clear Skin Probiotic 30 Capsules Probiotics To Clear Up Acne Pimples Reduce Pores For Healthy & Hydrated Skin Bifidobacterium Longum & Chaste Tree Fruit Extract Safe & Effective
- Clear Skin from Within: Love Wellness Clear Skin Probiotics contains 2 billion CFUs of probiotics plus zinc and chaste tree to help clear acne and support healthy skin and the gut-skin connection.* This probiotic can also help improve redness and dryness.* Serving size 1 capsule, 30 servings per container.
- How it Works: Our formula blends probiotics, zinc, and chaste tree to help promote the look of healthier, more hydrated skin and the appearance of a healthy complexion.* Probiotics can help support the appearance of healthy skin texture, while chaste tree helps improve acne.* Clear Skin Probiotics helps balance the skin to help reduce redness and breakouts.*
- Clean Ingredients: The supplement is gluten-free and dairy-free.
- How to Use: Take 1 capsule daily with or without food. No refrigeration required. If you have trouble swallowing pills, break the capsule open and put it into your favorite beverage.
- Love Yourself Well: At Love Wellness, we create natural solutions for natural problems because we experience them too . Discover clean, doctor-developed products that fit your bodys needs and remember, youre never alone here.
Additional Info :
Read Also: Spring Valley Multivitamin With Probiotics
Can You Use Zinc With Other Products
Patel says that side effects associated with zinc in topical form are nominal and that it’s generally “well-tolerated.” The main issue with using zinc topically is that, while not targeted for treating acne, if zinc is applied to the skin in zinc oxide form , then it may hinder the absorption of other products. “It can be quite thick and occlusive, preventing other skincare products from working,” says Patel.
Digestive Problems Are Associated With Acne
Studies show that the state of digestive health can affect your acne. In one study 13,215 adolescents filled out a questionnaire survey to determine risk factors of sebaceous gland diseases . The report found a statistically significant correlation between adolescents with acne and gastrointestinal symptoms such as halitosis, gastric reflux, bloating, and constipation.5
What is interesting is that constipation is associated with lower levels of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria.4, 5, 6 Taking these probiotics helps support normal bowel movements and may be helpful for acne.
Not only are probiotics helpful for gastrointestinal problems but they may help reduce inflammation as well.
You May Like: Gnc Probiotic Complex 10 Billion
The Case Against Acne Antibiotics
As mentioned by the website Patient.co.uk, continued antibiotic use can lead to antibiotic-resistance in Propionibacterium acnes bacteria. A proposal published on Medscape.com in 2013 by doctors Muneeza Muhammad, BA, and Ted Rosen, MD suggested that dermatologists reduce the administration of antibiotics for acne treatment.
The proposal outlined the issue of strengthening P. acnes strains worldwide. The side effects of these antibiotics are also unknown and may cause other issues in the body. Quoted in the proposal, Medical Director at Courthouse Clinics Dr. Robin Stones says, Bacterial resistance to antibiotics is a global problem, which is a cause for serious concern. The emergence of the so-called “superbugs” which are resistant to most antibiotics and therefore difficult to treat is a major threat to health. In many areas of the world, more than 50% of acne bacteria are resistant to the antibiotics used to treat the condition and the rates are continuing to rise.”
Rather than treat acne with antibiotics, Rosen and Muhammad suggest alternative treatments in their publication, such as photodynamic light therapy. This treatment emits blue light wavelengths in 420nm, which kills acne bacteria without damaging the skin. P. acnes bacteria create a chemical known as porphyrin. When porphyrin is exposed to light at this wavelength, the material becomes active, which destroys P. acne bacteria without the use of antibiotics.
Zinc For Teenage Acne
Were big fans of zinc acne treatments for teenagers who are struggling to get their breakouts under control. Medicating developing bodies with harsh pharmaceuticals has shown time and time again to cause health problems later in life, so wherever there are natural alternatives is where we should be shifting our focus.
Teenage acne tends to be a direct result of excess oil in the skin during puberty, as well as general lazy hygiene or lack of skin care flow. This kind of acne can be easily improved with a targeted zinc-filled sunscreen that is applied daily and maintaining a zinc-heavy diet.
Read Also: Best Probiotic Yogurt For Toddlers
What The Aad Recommends When Using Probiotics For Acne
The American Academy of Dermatology currently recommends that patients interested in using probiotics to treat acne breakouts should talk with their doctor about adding foods known to contain healthy friendly probiotics and taking an oral probiotic supplement.
Foods that are known to contain healthy microorganisms include yogurt, kefir, certain fermented foods like kimchi, kombucha beverages, tempeh, pickled foods and sauerkraut, among others. When adding probiotics in the form of foods, be sure to look at the label to verify that the food contains live and active cultures.
There are many different probiotics supplements that may be helpful in healing your skin from acne. You should definitely make sure that any supplement you select contains both Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Lactobacillus Bifidobacterium .
Talk with your dermatologist as well about choosing a topical probiotic to help your skin protect itself from harmful microorganisms at the surface level.
Probiotics For Better Mood And Diet Choices
Does your diet influence your gut bacteria or do your gut bacteria influence your diet? That is the question researchers have been trying to answer. Studies involving rats have found evidence that probiotics have a significant effect on mental health and food seeking behavior.
For example, one study found that supplementation with Bifidobacteria reduced brain stress hormones in rats and doubling the Lactobacilli found in feces by supplementing their diet with Lactobacillus probiotics contributed to reduced anxiety-like behavior.1
Stress and anxiety can impact dietary decisions. Mice normally opt for high-fat foods, but when stressed, mice are more likely to pick high-carbohydrate foods.2 In humans, diets high in refined carbohydrates have been linked to adult acne.3
Indeed, our research has found that one of the ways to combat acne is to start observing a low-carbohydrate diet or to implement a low-glycemic index diet. Probiotics may help support mood and healthier diet choices.
You May Like: Benefits Of Probiotics For Women
How Does Zinc Help Acne
As we know, zinc works on acne due to its high anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial nature. Since acne is a form of both inflammation and bacteria, the one naturally cancels out the other!
That said, can zinc make acne worse? According to Liat Nadler, current clinical trials suggest that zinc supplementation helps reduce acne symptoms and severity, but the optimal dosage of zinc treatment changes from one person to another, so consulting with a nutritionist or a doctor is always recommended for best results. It is also beneficial to maintain an anti-inflammatory diet that eliminates any additional irritations and inflammatory response in the body and skin, she adds.
People With Moderate To Severe Acne May Have A Zinc Deficiency
One study shows that people with severe acne are more likely to have a zinc deficiency than those who dont. In developed countries, this is not a common deficiency, but your diet still needs to be balanced, not laden with junk food.
Not sure if you are zinc deprived? Look for these symptoms that may indicate a zinc deficiency:
- Delayed wound healing
- Abnormal nervous system, reproductive system or skeletal system functioning
If you experience several of these symptoms, you should mention them to your doctor or dermatologist and ask for advice.
You May Like: Which Probiotic Is Best For Gas And Bloating
Benefits Of Probiotics For Acne
Probiotics offer both internal and external benefits, and one method of use may yield better results than another for each person.
- Calms internal inflammation: Taking probiotics is the best bet to keep the lining of your digestive tract smooth and robust. “Acne-causing bacteria promote inflammation in the skin, leading to acne breakouts,” says Zeichner. “The theory behind the use of probiotics for acne is that it can normalize the balance of healthy bacteria on the skin to reduce inflammation.”
- Inhibits production of Propionibacterium acnes: Probiotics applied to the skin consistently led to fewer instances of the P. acnesbacteria that causes acne, according to an article in the International Journal of Women’s Dermatology.
- Protects skin from environmental damage: Fighting off external sources of irritation or infection is easier when probiotics bolster your skincare. “Probiotics can create ‘holes’ in bad bacteria and kill them,” Engelman elaborates. “Similar to the way antibiotics work in the treatment of acne and rosacea, probiotics can help fight harmful bugs from triggering that inflammation in the first place.”
- Strengthens skin’s natural moisture barrier: If you’ve scrubbed too vigorously with cleansers and other products, probiotics help restore the skin’s natural barrier function, which is vital to banishing redness, sensitivity, breakouts, and irritation.
Try A Zinc Supplement
Your doctor may recommend zinc supplements, but only if you dont get enough from your diet. For example, certain conditions, such as Crohns disease, could limit zinc absorption from foods.
You should only take zinc or other supplements under your doctors supervision. Supplementation wont be helpful if you arent deficient, and getting more zinc than you need can lead to unpleasant side effects.
Zinc is available OTC on its own or combined with other minerals, such as calcium. Its also in some multivitamins.
Zinc may be labeled as one of the following:
- zinc acetate
, there isnt one form thats known to be better than the others. The key is to make sure youre not taking multiple products with more than one type of zinc this could lead to an overdose.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Peptiva Probiotics
The Buying Guide: Our Advice On How To Buy The Best Probiotic For Acne
Before you invest your hard-earned money into a product, you should properly educate yourself about the available products and the best alternatives in the market. We have compiled the list of factors you should consider before buying a probiotic for acne to make your task easier.
Like almost any product, before buying a probiotic for acne, you should ask yourself these few questions:
These are just some of the questions that you need to seek the answer to when purchasing the product. It is essential to keep in mind that you may have further queries and questions, as you should.
These are just a few considerations that we consider absolutely crucial. You can find detailed answers to almost all of your questions by some internet research or even by trying out the product at the store.
The Best Products With Probiotics For Acne
This serum is a one-stop-shop, combining Vitamin C and wild indigo with probiotics. Vitamin C can lighten hyperpigmentation and wild indigo reduces redness, according to the brand. “These ingredients combined with probiotics are a great tool to fight acne,” says Engelman.
Oats are the primary ingredient in this rich night cream, along with soothing feverfew. “Oats have long been known to protect the skin, but now we know they contain specialized sugars that are beneficial in normalizing the skin’s microbiome,” says Zeichner.
This moisturizer “contains prebiotic thermal spring water that has been used for decades to treat inflammatory skin conditions because of its high levels of minerals like selenium,” says Zeichner. It’s like a trip to the hot springs for your face.
If you’re wanting a probiotic-laden pick-me-up, this sheet mask is it. “It combines probiotics and hyaluronic acid for powerful hydration while restoring balance and combating damage from environmental aggressors,” says Engelman. Four masks come in a pack.
Engelman recommends this lightweight moisturizer if you’re suffering from the dryness that acne treatments like acids can cause but still have oily skin overall. “It will absorb excess oil that could be a feeding ground for bacteria,” she says.
In addition to both pre- and probiotics, this dietary supplement contains plenty of essential vitamins and mineralsand who doesn’t love a stylish container? Engelman says she uses one scoop a day.
Recommended Reading: Can I Take A Probiotic While Taking An Antibiotic
What Probiotics Are And Why They Matter To Your Health
Probiotics are live microorganisms that can be found in fermented foods, like yogurt and kombucha, as well as supplements you can find at your local drug store.
These beneficial bacteria have many health benefits, including improved digestion, increased immune system function, reduced risk of certain types of cancer, lower cholesterol levels, and even weight loss.
Despite these excellent benefits to overall wellness, some studies now show that probiotics may increase the chance for acne breakouts!
Not to mention, many people have allergic reactions to certain foods that contain these probiotics. With this in mind, you need to understand the connection between Probiotics and Acne.
What Exactly Is Zinc
Zinc is an essential mineral, which in this usage means that your body doesnt produce it. We need it for cell production, immune function, and enzyme reactions and synthesis.
As a necessary component in collagen synthesis, zinc is involved in our skins health and appearance. Zinc is also a natural antimicrobial, fighting bacteria and viruses.
Read Also: Probiotics That Make You Gain Weight
How Can Probiotics Help With Acne
“The more good bacteria you have, the more likely it is to suppress bad bacteria,” shares Dr. Henry. And while, yes, too much of a good thing including good bacteria can lead to some issues , too much bad bacteria can also wreak havoc on your health. “Imbalances of bad bacteria lead to inflammation throughout the body which can lead to a series of health problems that can eventually present as acne on your skin,” she says.
Essentially, probiotics help establish a healthy balance of microbiota , which, in turn, can potentially promote clearer skin. So, they act as the catalyst in a waterfall of beneficial health outcomes.
“The less inflamed your skin is, the less likely you are to develop inflammatory skin conditions like rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, and even acne,” she adds. “Since probiotics improve gut health and help soothe inflammatory digestive issues, they, in turn, reduce the inflammation of the skin barrier and allow it to function optimally, which can keep acne at bay.”
Drformulas Cystic Acne Treatment Pills With Zinc Probiotics & Dim
- DIM or diindolylmethane is a supplement that is commonly take to help treat acne. DIM is found in cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and more. Experts believe that DIM could help people who suffer from acne, because it helps with hormonal balance, and it may be able to stop excess oil production.
- TURMERIC: Turmeric supplement pills are packed with anti-inflammatory benefits and antioxidants that help reduce inflammation on the skin.
- FISH OIL: Fish Oil is high in a substance called omega-3 fatty acid, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects. A recent study showed that acne sufferers who took omega-3 fatty acid for two months ended up seeing a significant reduction in body & back pimples & cystic acne & scars.
- PROBIOTICS: Some experts believe that a cause of acne is an unbalanced probiotic population in the gut, which can cause a response of inflammation on the skin. Nexabiotic Probiotics by DrFormulas contain 23 different probiotics. These probiotics help restore digestive balance, boost your immune system and boost skin health so that you can fight acne from the inside out. Nexabiotic Probiotics by DrFormulas can help restore digestive balance, boost your immune system & skin health.
- ZINC: Studies show that people with acne tend to have a zinc deficiency and zinc supplementation may reduce acne by up to 50 percent.
Also Check: Great Oral Health Oral Probiotics