Benefits Of Almond Milk
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Almond milk is the most popular plant milk in the United States.
It is rich in several healthful nutrients, but compared with whole almonds, it is watered down and missing most of the fiber.
While researchers have not directly studied its health effects in controlled studies, some of its components have undergone extensive study.
This is a review of almond milk and its health benefits.
Almond milk is made by blending almonds with water and then straining the mixture to remove the solids. You can also make it by adding water to almond butter.
It has a pleasant, nutty flavor and a creamy texture similar to that of regular milk. For this reason, it is a popular choice for people following a vegan diet and those who are allergic or intolerant to dairy.
You can find almond milk in most supermarkets, usually in the health food section. It is also very easy to make at home.
Commercial almond milk comes in a variety of brands and flavors. For health reasons, it is best to choose almond milk that does not contain added sugar.
Controlled studies have linked whole almonds to a variety of health benefits, but many of these may not apply to almond milk.
How To Buy The Best Greek Yogurt
There are many different varieties of Greek yogurt available and some of this will come down to personal preference or taste.
Plain Greek yogurt is a good choice, as they contain good quantities of all the macronutrients: protein, fat and carbohydrates and no added sugar or sweeteners. You could add prepared fresh fruit such as bananas, apples or berries, if you like.
You can also buy varieties that are pre-flavoured with fruit purées or honey these are likely to be higher in sugar and calories, so may be best enjoyed as an occasional treat.
Low-fat or fat-free varieties will be lower in calories but bear in mind that they may also contain more sugar manufacturers often add this to make up the lost flavour when the fat is reduced. If youre looking to control your calorie intake, a smaller portion size of normal Greek yogurt may be best, and the fat content will provide longer satiety.
Check the labels to ensure that the variety you are buying contains probiotics for extra health benefits.
Ideas For The Greatest Almond Milk Yogurt
To realize the most effective outcomes, positively go for do-it-yourself almond milk! Not solely has this at all times labored finest for us however most of our blogger colleagues agree and advocate the identical.
Moreover, listed below are some ideas and ideas round making your personal vegan yogurt that you simply may discover useful!
Vegan Yogurt Starter
To make your personal almond milk yogurt, you want some good probiotics. Sadly, most of them will not be vegan-friendly, so that you may want to do a little analysis. Weve used completely different varieties to this point however at all times made certain that theyve over 50 billion lively cells.
Already taking probiotic capsules? Nice information, youll be able to simply open them with a knife and use the powder to make your personal almond milk yogurt!
Though weve by no means tried this, many recipes discuss utilizing almond yogurt as a starter when making your personal.
Dairy-Free Yogurt With Soy Milk
Dont have any almonds readily available or wish to make a better protein dairy-free yogurt? Get some store-bought soy milk with no added substances and observe our recipe or take a look at this Immediate Pot soy yogurt model by Vegan Blueberry.
It might be finest to sterilize the entire kitchen instruments you wish to use when making your almond milk yogurt earlier than you begin on the very least, be sure the jars youre going to place the yogurt in are sterilized.
Vegan Yogurt Flavoring Choices
Also Check: Would Probiotics Help With Gas
How To Get Rid Of Almond Milk Constipation
Its pretty simple, actually. Get homemade almond milk, or better, make it yourself.
If you know you need this plant-based milk in your life, you need to make choices to make it possible. While many people prefer making almond milk at home themselves, there are good delivery options where people provide homemade almond milk.
But first, lets understand why homemade almond milk is the solution to your problem.
- Since youre making it at home, it is 100% healthy and nutritious.
- It is without any added preservatives or chemicals.
- Since its not mass-produced, there is no added sweetener, stabilizers, or calcium to make it taste like animal milk.
This is why most people prefer making almond milk by themselves.
Health Benefits Of Probiotics
In terms of the benefits of dairy-free probiotics, the list continues to grow by the day.
Probiotics establish in the gut and help balance and maintain a healthy gut biome. A healthy gut biome is key to a properly functioning immune system. But the noticeable benefits of probiotics dont stop there. Recent research has also connected gut health with brain function, cancer rates, and heart health.
According to Harvard researchers, probiotics can benefit the body in many ways, including:
- Reducing digestive upset, diarrhea, and other digestive disorders
- Reducing symptoms of IBS and Crhones disease
- Restricting the growth of H. pylori and other bad bacteria
- Reducing vaginal infections and yeast overgrowth
- Reducing urinary tract infections
- Reducing the recurrence of bladder cancer
- Preventing digestive infections
- Reducing the occurrence of skin conditions like eczema
There is also a great deal of evidence that probiotics can help with weight gain, support healthy blood pressure, and reduce oral bacteria infections.
Recommended Reading: Garden Of Life Probiotics 80 Billion Reviews
Dairy Contains Lactose A Natural Sugar That Is Difficult To Digest
Dairy products like cheese and milk can cause digestion issues especially if youre lactose intolerant or sensitive. Lactose is a natural sugar thats found in dairy products, and those who are lactose intolerant dont have the enzymes needed to break down this sugar.
Luckily, there are plenty of dairy substitutes out there, like soy or almond milk, which are ideal for those who are lactose intolerant or just looking to avoid dairy.
So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt
Key lime was always one of my favorite yogurt flavors, so this one had a lot to live up to. And luckily, it didnt disappoint. In fact, I think I like it even more than the types I ate regularly in the past.
What a RD thinks of coconut milk:Unsweetened coconut milk has a nice creamy texture. However, it contains very little or no protein. Most coconut milk beverages are fortified with vitamins and minerals, and so you may get 50 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12 and 30 percent of the daily value of vitamin D per cup.âAmy Gorin
- Flavor: Key lime
- Nutrition stats : 130 calories, 4 grams fat, 2 grams fiber, 17 grams sugar, < 1 gram protein
- Taste: This was one of the best flavors of non-dairy yogurt Ive tried. It was wholesome, well-rounded, didnt have that artificial taste, and didnt have a weird aftertaste. It also didnt taste coconut-y at all, like some coconut milk products do.
- Texture: While the almond and oat milk varieties of yogurt are pretty thick, this one is the perfect happy medium between thick and runny, making it easy to eat on its own or use in other recipes.
- Other flavors available: Plain, vanilla, passionate mango, strawberry, pineapple brÃ»lÃ©e, unsweetened vanilla, unsweetened plain, strawberry banana, raspberry, peach, chocolate, blueberry
Read Also: Can Probiotics Help With Gout
Recommended Reading: Schiff Digestive Advantage Probiotic Gummies Specialunits 1pack 120 Count
The Probiotic Strain Game
U.S. guidelines state that yogurt must contain at least two specific strains, Streptococcus thermophilus, and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, although manufacturers can add more. Its easy to assume that all yogurt is the same, but thats not the case at all, Ansel says.
Only three familiesLactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Streptococcushave been widely researched, and the data suggests they may improve immune and digestive health and protect against yeast infections in women. In fact, these are the kinds nutritionists trust most. But probiotic yogurt brands vary in other ways, from the number of strains they contain to the amounts in each serving.
How To Prepare Almond Milk
You can use almond milk in the same way as you would animal milk. Itâs available in just about any supermarket or bulk-food stores next to traditional dairy products. Store-bought almond milk is often shelf-stable until opened.
You can also make your own almond milk at home:
You can use almond milk in any recipe that calls for milk. Here are some ways to use this versatile drink:
- Drink a glass of almond milk
- Make pancakes
- Add almond milk to hot chocolate instead of animal milk
- Use almond milk in cereal
- Make homemade almond ice cream
- Add almond milk to smoothies
- Use almond milk as coffee creamer
Don’t Miss: Best Probiotic For Vaginal Odor
Does Vegan Yogurt Have Probiotics We Did Some Research To Find Out
The gut microbiome and the trillions of bacteria that inhabit it constitute one of the most important elements for the overall wellbeing of our body.
An extensive body of research links bacterial communities to everything from body weight to immunity and digestion, and emphasizes the importance of having a well-balanced and thriving bacterial community.
Consuming a probiotic yogurt introduces friendly bacteria that help keep the bad bacteria in check, and when you have a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut, you have whats called an equilibrium. This equilibrium can provide you with several health benefits, hence the reason probiotics are so important.
In this article, were going to explain what role probiotics play in the body, and determine whether vegan yogurts contain probiotics. Lets find out.
Other Vegan Probiotic Foods
Lactose-free yogurt isnt the only way to add probiotics into your plant-based diet. Many other fermented foods are made with plant-based ingredients or available in vegan-friendly forms.
Some of our favorite alternative sources of probiotics include:
- Kombucha This probiotic tea is loaded with active cultures and antioxidants and can be found in various flavors to fit every taste.
- Sauerkraut This German favorite is made by fermenting cabbage. It makes a great topper for sandwiches and veggie burgers.
- Miso This fermented Japanese seasoning is used in a variety of dishes from soups to stir-fries. But keep in mind that exposing it to high heat will kill the active cultures.
- Kimchi Kimchi is similar to sauerkraut but with an infusion of Korean spices.
Also Check: Do Probiotics Help Bloating And Gas
Controversies In The United States
Litigation in 2010
In its marketing for Activia, Danone claimed that Bifidobacterium animalis relieves irregularity.
In the 2010 Activia TV commercials, a voiceover explains : Activia eaten every day is clinically proven to help regulate your digestive system in two weeks. Danone said it had scientific evidence to back up its assertions.
But according to the Federal Trade Commission, commercials and claims on Activia packages are deceptive and Danone exaggerates the yogurts health benefits. In its 2010 charges against Danone, the FTC stated that Eating one serving of Activia daily is not clinically proven to relieve temporary irregularity and help with slow intestinal transit time. In fact, consumers must eat three servings of Activia each day to obtain health benefits.
In December 2010, The Danone Company settled allegations of false advertising. In the settlement, Danone dropped its claims of the health benefits of its Activia yogurt. The company thus agreed to stop advertising that Activia yogurt improves motility, unless the ad conveys that three servings must be eaten per day to obtain these benefits. Danone therefore removed the words clinically and scientifically proven from Activia products.
Danone agreed to pay US$21 million to 39 states that had coordinated investigations with the FTC. In response to a similar lawsuit in Canada, Danone agreed to settle the suit by paying compensation and modifying its advertising.
Various Ways To Include In Your Diet
Here are some easy ways to add this energy drink in your diet.
- As a healthy, nutrient-packed drink
- Pair it with cereals, oats or muesli at breakfast
- Substitute in your tea, coffee or hot chocolate
- Add to baking foods
- In non-dairy yogurt, smoothies, and ice-creams
- Add to your savory dishes like soups or sauces
Having said the above, almond milk is a delicious alternative to cows milk for vegans or people suffering from lactose intolerance. With so many health benefits and fewer side effects, it is proven to be a great vegan health drink.
Are you transitioning to vegan?
Then you must add almond milk in your diet.
Recommended Reading: What Probiotic Should I Take When On Antibiotics
Home Made Vegan Almond Yogurt Recipe
No fancy instruments or expertise required
Good lactose-free dairy substitute
Sugar-free, dairy-free & soy-free
Nice for meal prep & weight reduction
When youre a fan of dairy merchandise and yogurt however wish to eat 100% plant-based, do this easy vegan almond yogurt recipe with some recent fruit or use it in a plethora of the way which well listing under.
Homemade Blueberry Tofu Yogurt
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup of raw unsalted cashews
- 12 ounces of silken tofu
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 12 vegan probiotic capsules
Blend all ingredients, except the probiotic capsule, until smooth. Then sprinkle in the contents of the capsule and gently stir. Let it thicken in the fridge and keep for up to 5 days.
Vegan yogurts can vary significantly in ingredients and quality, making it vital to know what to look for when shopping.
To choose the best vegan yogurt for your needs, keep these tips in mind:
- Avoid added sugar. You can avoid added sugar by choosing unsweetened yogurts. You can add your own sweetener, such as fruit or maple syrup, if you desire.
- Read the labels. Give the ingredient label a thorough read to ensure that the yogurt doesnt have any animal products.
- Minimal ingredients. Choose a variety with a minimal number of ingredients. You dont need much more than a plant milk base, live and active cultures, and natural flavorings or thickening agents.
- Look for added nutrients. Consider nutrient content. For example, if you want an extra boost of protein or vitamin B12, check the label for these added nutrients.
Read Also: The Best Probiotic For Gut Health
Homemade Almond Milk Yogurt
Almond milk yogurt tastes amazing and is easy to make at home with or without an Instant Pot. All you need are 5 ingredients and a few minutes of hands-on time. Then let it culture overnight, and wake up to perfectly tangy, healthy homemade yogurt!
After falling in love with homemade cashew yogurt, I finally got around to experimenting with almond milk yogurt, and now I have TWO favorite ways to make yogurt at home.
The flavor of this almond yogurt surprised me, honestly. It tastes so clean, pure, and simple. That’s really the best way to describe it.
The main difference in preparation between cashew yogurt and almond yogurt is that almond milk doesn’t thicken on its own without a little help. So we’re including a starch and a small amount of agar agar to help the yogurt set.
- is SO creamy, pure, and rich-tasting.
- cuts down on single-use plastic containers.
- can be more or less tangy, depending on your preference.
- is unsweetened other than 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to help it culture, so it’s also suitable for use in savory dishes like vegan mashed potatoes!
- contains no gums.
- can be sweetened and flavored any way you like. From jam to fruit puree to maple syrup, add your favorite sweetener to individual servings for total flexibility.
Low In Phosphorus With A Moderate Amount Of Potassium
People with chronic kidney disease often avoid milk due to its high levels of phosphorus and potassium. Thats because when your kidneys cant properly clear these nutrients, there is a risk they will build up in the blood 30071-7/pdf” rel=”nofollow”> 39,
Almond milk might be a good dairy alternative for people with CKD. However, the amounts of these nutrients may vary from brand to brand, so youll need to read the nutrition label.
In a small study, participants whose phosphate a mineral that contains phosphorus levels were kept low for 40 weeks had a 64% reduction in the secretion of a hormone called FGF23. That hormone contributes to the breakdown of bone and increases heart disease risk .
In another study, blood samples were collected from 911,698 adults with CKD, heart failure, or diabetes. After 18 months, researchers found that higher potassium levels of more than 5 mmol/L were associated with higher chances of all-cause mortality .
If you have kidney disease, your individual requirements and limits may vary depending on your stage of disease and current blood levels of potassium and phosphorus .
However, remember that many people dont need to limit potassium and phosphorus, and most people do not consume enough potassium. Its important to get enough of these essential nutrients in your diet.
Always speak to a healthcare professional before making any diet changes, since they may affect your health.
Don’t Miss: Most Effective Probiotic For Constipation
Trader Joes Creamy Cashew Yogurt
Trader Joes is making affordable, dairy-free yogurt accessible to all with one of its latest releases. After trying it out, Im happy to say it holds up to some of the bigger names.
What a RD thinks of cashew milk:Cashew milk provides small amounts of iron and calcium and is typically low in calories when unsweetenedâaround 25 to 40 calories a serving. Some cashew milks are fortified with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12 and zinc.âAmy Gorin
- Flavor: Strawberry
- Nutrition stats : 140 calories, 6 grams fat, < 1 grams fiber, 12 grams sugar , 3 grams protein
- Taste: Unlike some strawberry flavored non-dairy yogurts that are so sweet itll make you wince, the flavor here is subtle and satisfying.
- Texture: The texture is smooth, creamy, and a nice in-between of the thick and runny options.
- Other flavors available: Vanilla bean
Recommended Reading: Probiotics What Is It Used For